Mozilla CEO resigns because of Prop 8 donation in 2008

Started by Barrister, April 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 10, 2014, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2014, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2014, 12:51:54 PM
Remember, you're talking about young earth creationists.

And he is talking about people who have no other qualifications for the job.  CC isn't a creationist, and yet having him as a science chair at a university would also "be odd to say the least."

I agree.  But there are people who call themselves scientists who believe the world was created in 6000 years.  Would you hire such a person to run a science department Grumbler?

Assuming the person actually is a scientist and has the proper credentials, and isn't pushing some specific anti-evolution agenda, why not?

Running a science department is very much an administrative job, involved in managing the scientists under you.

I would hate to disqualify someone with the proper credentials and experience just because they attend a holy-roller church on sundays.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2014, 02:08:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2014, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2014, 12:51:54 PM
Remember, you're talking about young earth creationists.

And he is talking about people who have no other qualifications for the job.  CC isn't a creationist, and yet having him as a science chair at a university would also "be odd to say the least."

I agree.  But there are people who call themselves scientists who believe the world was created in 6000 years.  Would you hire such a person to run a science department Grumbler?

Assuming the person actually is a scientist and has the proper credentials, and isn't pushing some specific anti-evolution agenda, why not?

Running a science department is very much an administrative job, involved in managing the scientists under you.

I would hate to disqualify someone with the proper credentials and experience just because they attend a holy-roller church on sundays.

I wouldnt disquality them just because they attend a "holy roller church" either.  I would disqulity them on the basis that their belief that the world is only 6000 years old requires them to reject all the science that says otherwise.

Btw running a science department at a university is a lot more than "managing scientists under you". 

grumbler

As i have said repeatedly, that would depend on the person's other qualifications.  Certainly a belief that some scientific evidence is real and some is "planted" is a pretty high barrier to overcome.  I don't believe that such "a Creationist would never be tolerated" in such a position, though. 

Hell, far from "never be tolerated" at Jim Jones University (or whatever it is called these days), such a creationist may actually hold the science chair!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Jim Jones University folded due to its inability to keep faculty.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2014, 04:57:26 PM
Jim Jones University folded due to its inability to keep faculty.

They'd drink the kool-aid and then go to Bob Jones University.  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

My cousin's kid is going to Liberty University this fall :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2014, 09:01:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2014, 07:58:45 PM
One does not have to be a Christian to be a good scholar of Christianity.  Indeed, the case of Ehrman being a good scholar of Christianity led him to change his beliefs.  On the other hand it is hard to imagine a person who believes that the world is 6000 years old also has a good grasp of the science which proves otherwise.

That's called "moving the goal posts."  You said "creationist."  Not all creationists believe that the world was created 6,000 years ago.

Even so, I could see even a person who thinks that the world (and universe) was only 6,000 years old could serve as a science chair, so long as he understands (as you do not) that science says nothing about "proving" the age of the universe, and he has enough countervailing attributes  Science simply reports what the evidence leads us to believe, with the assumption that everything works as scientists believe that it does.  Science disproves things (with caveats) but doesn't prove anything.

It's a good thing for those creationist science chairs that "prove otherwise" doesn't mean "disprove."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, CFA sucks.  It's bland garbage food.

Three... two... one... FAHDIZ?!?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2014, 08:15:51 PM
HEY NOW

Ever eat a Chik-Fil-A sandwich "hold the chicken"?  You'd agree, I assure you.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on April 10, 2014, 07:56:44 PM
It's a good thing for those creationist science chairs that "prove otherwise" doesn't mean "disprove."

Indeed.  "Prove otherwise" is not a scientifically useful term.  "Disprove" on the other hand, is extremely useful in science.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 10, 2014, 08:23:48 PM
HEY NOW

Why would you want to hold a chicken?  They are filthy critters.

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on April 11, 2014, 06:43:45 AM
HEY NOW

Maybe it's a euphemism.

PDH

Quote from: dps on April 11, 2014, 08:23:56 AM
HEY NOW

Maybe it's a euphemism.

We aren't talking tubas here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: dps on April 11, 2014, 08:23:56 AM
HEY NOW

Maybe it's a euphemism.
Why would he want to hold a euphemism?  They are filthy sayings.

Bayraktar!