Mozilla CEO resigns because of Prop 8 donation in 2008

Started by Barrister, April 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Have some of my Vicodin. I'll put it in some blueberries.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

Chick-fil-A is decent enough, no reason to boycott it. I find it hilarious after the fag crusaders lined up against it CFA actually became the largest chicken chain in the U.S. by revenue. The flash point year (2011) actually had one of their highest increases in year over year revenue.

Fags being defeated = great.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 10, 2014, 09:07:24 AM
Chick-fil-A is decent enough, no reason to boycott it. I find it hilarious after the fag crusaders lined up against it CFA actually became the largest chicken chain in the U.S. by revenue. The flash point year (2011) actually had one of their highest increases in year over year revenue.

Fags being defeated = great.

Well yeah suddenly the conservatives wanted to reward them by eating lots of their crap sandwiches.  That is how the culture war works.  Right now millions of culture warriors are dumping Firefox for firing its CEO.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

I had to dump Firefox because its hardware acceleration causes system crashes with the line of nvidia GPU I have. It's a somewhat rare but known problem (the people that it affects have been noisy on both the nvidia and Firefox forums.) Firefox claims it's an nvidia driver problem and they can't do anything to fix it, but suggest "turning off hardware acceleration." Nvidia says they have no evidence of any reproducible error. But all the other modern browsers can run with hardware acceleration just fine with my nvidia card, so I see no reason to run a limited Firefox over the alternatives.

OttoVonBismarck

To me there is a big difference between going out and buying chicken that you would buy anyway to show support for a company and hounding a single guy until he loses his job. I'd wager that CFA's booming sales have nothing to do with conservative culture warriors, but the 95% of the population that don't give a shit what Dan Cathy does or what charities a company donates to; there was a persistent rumor for like 25 years that KFC donated 10% of its profits to the Ku Klux Klan and during that time it was a successful/profitable chain that grew internationally and had/has thousands and thousands of stores.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 10, 2014, 09:22:51 AM
To me there is a big difference between going out and buying chicken that you would buy anyway to show support for a company and hounding a single guy until he loses his job.

Yes indeed.  But the Conservative Culture Warriors are perfectly capable of doing that also.

QuoteI'd wager that CFA's booming sales have nothing to do with conservative culture warriors, but the 95% of the population that don't give a shit what Dan Cathy does or what charities a company donates to

I am unconvinced for two reasons.

1. Why would 5% of the population, who used to eat at your restaurants, now boycotting magically increase your sales from the 95% who do not change their behavior at all?

2. In 2011 I distinctly remember movements to eat at Chick-Fil-A as much as possible for solidarity and for a bit there there lines out the door everywhere.  Coincidence 2011 was a banner year?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 10, 2014, 09:22:51 AM
To me there is a big difference between going out and buying chicken that you would buy anyway to show support for a company and hounding a single guy until he loses his job. I'd wager that CFA's booming sales have nothing to do with conservative culture warriors, but the 95% of the population that don't give a shit what Dan Cathy does or what charities a company donates to; there was a persistent rumor for like 25 years that KFC donated 10% of its profits to the Ku Klux Klan and during that time it was a successful/profitable chain that grew internationally and had/has thousands and thousands of stores.

There used to be a rumour that the circled K logo on Snapple drinks indicated that they donated parts of their profits to the KKK.

In reality, it was a mark of kosher certification.

Ed Anger

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2014, 09:28:26 AMI am unconvinced for two reasons.

1. Why would 5% of the population, who used to eat at your restaurants, now boycotting magically increase your sales from the 95% who do not change their behavior at all?

2. In 2011 I distinctly remember movements to eat at Chick-Fil-A as much as possible for solidarity and for a bit there there lines out the door everywhere.  Coincidence 2011 was a banner year?

I doubt that 5% of the population anywhere in the country was engaged in an active CFA boycott. The areas where that sort of thing would be most likely aren't even in areas of the country where C FA operates. I wasn't trying to convey some specific %, but just using it as an example. My point is that the vast majority of Americans did not care about the CFA situation, and those that seemed to care the most on the anti-CFA side were probably not people who lived near a CFA, or if they did they were probably not the target demographic for cheap fast food chicken.

CFA is average fast food, but it has extreme appeal and always have. The ones near me always have lines out onto the street in the drive thru, pre-homogate and post-homogate. Yeah, there were a few days where people came out in droves to support CFA, but with 1700 locations and with stores being open like 300 days a year I doubt the impact was what you would think on either side of it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2014, 09:28:26 AM
I am unconvinced for two reasons.

But not all of that is driven by opposition to gay marriage, some of those are customers who just think boycotts are lame.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

CFA must have done something to improve their grilled chicken, because when I was there with the kids a couple weeks ago it was awfully damned tasty.  Before it was slightly above average for fast food grilled chicken.  I like their fried chicken breast sandwich but think maybe it's slightly over-hyped.

But what sets CFA apart from the rest is how great & friendly their service is.  One time my wife took the kids out for lunch before she was going to run errands, and had forgotten to move her wallet to whatever purse she was using that day.  Didn't realize it until after she had ordered.  She was embarrassed & told the cashier she'd have to run home to get it  But he said 'don't sweat it' & comped the whole meal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger