Mozilla CEO resigns because of Prop 8 donation in 2008

Started by Barrister, April 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2014, 09:49:37 AM
One time my wife took the kids out for lunch before she was going to run errands, and had forgotten to move her wallet to whatever purse she was using that day.  Didn't realize it until after she had ordered.  She was embarrassed & told the cashier she'd have to run home to get it  But he said 'don't sweat it' & comped the whole meal. 

You married Dorsey?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2014, 09:58:36 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2014, 09:49:37 AM
One time my wife took the kids out for lunch before she was going to run errands, and had forgotten to move her wallet to whatever purse she was using that day.  Didn't realize it until after she had ordered.  She was embarrassed & told the cashier she'd have to run home to get it  But he said 'don't sweat it' & comped the whole meal. 

You married Dorsey?

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2014, 09:40:36 AM
But not all of that is driven by opposition to gay marriage, some of those are customers who just think boycotts are lame.

I think that but I still didn't start eating at Chick-Fil-A
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2014, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2014, 09:40:36 AM
But not all of that is driven by opposition to gay marriage, some of those are customers who just think boycotts are lame.

I think that but I still didn't start eating at Chick-Fil-A

Yeah, but you said you don't care for their food overmuch. If you were already a customer, you might eat there more often, if only because the news stories act as advertising.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2014, 08:13:31 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 10, 2014, 06:30:40 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2014, 09:01:43 PM
I could see even a person who thinks that the world (and universe) was only 6,000 years old could serve as a science chair

Thats one of the reasons you will probably will never again get the chance to hire a science chair.
FYP, though that's not one of the reasons.  However, I am far likelier to hire my second science chair again than you are to hire your first one. :smarty:

I said at a university.  You are right.  I will likely never have any input at the high school level.  I bet being a creationist would be seen as a positive aspect in many high schools in the US.  No need to worry about the teaching of the evolution stuff.

Valmy

Taking a Creationist class would be awesome.  "God did it" would be the answer to every test question.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2014, 12:30:50 PM
Taking a Creationist class would be awesome.  "God did it" would be the answer to every test question.

There is a documentary on HBO at the moment called something like "Questioning Darwin".  It interviews a bunch of creation literalists as to why they believe the world is only 6000 years old - including an interview with the guy that runs the creation museum.  The answer invariably went something like - If evolution is correct then the teachings of the Bible must be wrong.  The Bible is the word of God and so everying in the Bible is literally true.  Therefore evolution must be wrong.

One guy put it in more stark terms - "if the Bible said that 2+2=5 I would believe that was true"

Having one of these guys running a Science Department at a university would be odd to say the least.

garbon

Remember, you're talking about young earth creationists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2014, 12:51:54 PM

I am talking about the literalists.  I have no problem with the hypothetical Grumbler raises about a person that believes that somehow God had a role in getting it all going and that the science is not incompatable with that belief.  But to get back on point with this thread that avoids the point I was making about some beliefs being incompatable with some positions.

One would never employ a person who believes its ok to beat women on religious grounds to run a women's shelter etc etc etc.

grumbler

Not so.  There would be trick questions in which the devil did it (like "who planted the fossils to make the earth look older than it is?").

Bayraktar!

grumbler

And he is talking about people who have no other qualifications for the job.  CC isn't a creationist, and yet having him as a science chair at a university would also "be odd to say the least."

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2014, 01:08:31 PM

And he is talking about people who have no other qualifications for the job.  CC isn't a creationist, and yet having him as a science chair at a university would also "be odd to say the least."

I agree.  But there are people who call themselves scientists who believe the world was created in 6000 years.  Would you hire such a person to run a science department Grumbler?

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2014, 01:05:30 PM
Not so.  There would be trick questions in which the devil did it (like "who planted the fossils to make the earth look older than it is?").

"God did it, as a test for our faith".

That one always works, too.