Started by Barrister, April 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2014, 09:28:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2014, 07:45:17 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 07, 2014, 01:16:35 PM
I'm of pure Aryan stock.

I didn't know you were Pakistani.

I never known what is going to set people off from that part of the world.  I have had Indians lose their shit when people mention the Aryans as the Aryan invasion theory was apparently constructed by evil Brits to justify their Empire while others are all like 'yeah we are Aryans we kick ass!'  No different than any other old world nationalist stuff but it is interesting how rather obscure historical topics in our part of the world are so emotionally charged in other places.  Kind of brings them to life for me and reminds me we are talking about stuff that matters.
Thankfully modern gene sequencing has proven the Arayn invasion theory correct, so now everyone will calm down and engage in rational and logical discussion on the topic. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2014, 06:04:28 PM
A chair who believes in Creation, particularly a Creationist that believes that people lived along side dinosaurs and that the world is only 6000 years old, now that would be a sight to see!

NPR had an interview with a professor of Christian Studies from Georgetown University who no longer believed in god.  He didn't have a problem continuing to teach things even though he no longer believed them himself.  Of course, he was tolerant of opposing views, and didn't arguing that there was anything which "would never be tolerated."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

From a technology forum i frequent:

Quote9 Apr 2014
Anonymous Coward

Re: Fortunately, there is still Firefox

No there isn't. Nobody should use a browser that is made by people who don't support freedom of expression.
upvotes 2
downvotes 24

:bleeding:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2014, 08:12:03 AM
From a technology forum i frequent:

Quote9 Apr 2014
Anonymous Coward

Re: Fortunately, there is still Firefox

No there isn't. Nobody should use a browser that is made by people who don't support freedom of expression.
upvotes 2
downvotes 24

:bleeding:

Yeah, looks pretty dumb going either way.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I'm gonna eat Chick-fil-A. The homophobia is delicious!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

My best friend's wife has a brother that would not talk to her for over a year because she posted a pic of us & all our kids at Chick-fil-A.  Funny thing is it took a while for it to dawn on her why he was so pissed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2014, 09:31:17 AM
My best friend's wife has a brother that would not talk to her for over a year because she posted a pic of us & all our kids at Chick-fil-A.  Funny thing is it took a while for it to dawn on her why he was so pissed.

He's married to a fag?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2014, 07:02:22 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2014, 06:04:28 PM
A chair who believes in Creation, particularly a Creationist that believes that people lived along side dinosaurs and that the world is only 6000 years old, now that would be a sight to see!

NPR had an interview with a professor of Christian Studies from Georgetown University who no longer believed in god.  He didn't have a problem continuing to teach things even though he no longer believed them himself.  Of course, he was tolerant of opposing views, and didn't arguing that there was anything which "would never be tolerated."

One does not have to be a Christian to be a good scholar of Christianity.  Indeed, the case of Ehrman being a good scholar of Christianity led him to change his beliefs.  On the other hand it is hard to imagine a person who believes that the world is 6000 years old also has a good grasp of the science which proves otherwise.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2014, 07:58:45 PM
One does not have to be a Christian to be a good scholar of Christianity.  Indeed, the case of Ehrman being a good scholar of Christianity led him to change his beliefs.  On the other hand it is hard to imagine a person who believes that the world is 6000 years old also has a good grasp of the science which proves otherwise.

That's called "moving the goal posts."  You said "creationist."  Not all creationists believe that the world was created 6,000 years ago.

Even so, I could see even a person who thinks that the world (and universe) was only 6,000 years old could serve as a science chair, so long as he understands (as you do not) that science says nothing about "proving" the age of the universe, and he has enough countervailing attributes  Science simply reports what the evidence leads us to believe, with the assumption that everything works as scientists believe that it does.  Science disproves things (with caveats) but doesn't prove anything.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2014, 09:02:11 AM

I don't eat there.  I discriminate against inferior chicken sandwiches.

It is kind of funny how this one company has become the symbol of gay oppression everywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 10:07:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2014, 09:02:11 AM

I don't eat there.  I discriminate against inferior chicken sandwiches.

It is kind of funny how this one company has become the symbol of gay oppression everywhere.

"A" symbol.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

:huh:

It hasn't.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2014, 10:18:23 PM

It hasn't.

I would say it is an easy shorthand for mentioning homophobia and business at this point.

Random note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-msplukrw
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2014, 10:23:00 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2014, 10:18:23 PM

It hasn't.

I would say it is an easy shorthand for mentioning homophobia and business at this point.

Random note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-msplukrw

In the US perhaps.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2014, 10:29:22 PM
In the US perhaps.

I meant everywhere in US society.  My apologies.  I was not under the delusion Chick-Fil-A was symbolic of gay oppression in Cameroon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."