Mozilla CEO resigns because of Prop 8 donation in 2008

Started by Barrister, April 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2014, 07:45:17 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 07, 2014, 01:16:35 PM
I'm of pure Aryan stock.

I didn't know you were Pakistani.

I never known what is going to set people off from that part of the world.  I have had Indians lose their shit when people mention the Aryans as the Aryan invasion theory was apparently constructed by evil Brits to justify their Empire while others are all like 'yeah we are Aryans we kick ass!'  No different than any other old world nationalist stuff but it is interesting how rather obscure historical topics in our part of the world are so emotionally charged in other places.  Kind of brings them to life for me and reminds me we are talking about stuff that matters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Probably like the ACW, if you flip the equation.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on April 07, 2014, 08:46:25 PM
No, because I'm not justifying or arguing about what ought to be.
Then what exactly are you doing?  We don't discuss stories here about some guy getting fired because we want to wail over their bad fortune.  I would say that the vast majority of stories here that generate a discussion bring up a larger issue, at which point "what ought to be" in the story that became the focal point is a pretty fundamental and central question.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

Quote from: Agelastus on April 07, 2014, 07:02:15 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on April 07, 2014, 12:31:16 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2014, 12:22:27 PMIf marriage is a religious creation which the state piggy-backed onto, it can't change that meaning.

Don't be ridiculous. Marriage pre-dates Christianity by millennia.

Don't be ridiculous. Religion pre-dates Christianity by millenia as well.
Seriously, though. Co-habitation may not have been a religious creation; formal marriage almost certainly was. A bit difficult for it not to have been when the earliest civilisations seem to have formed around temples (see Sumer.) I'm having trouble thinking of any previous civilisation that formalised same-sex relationships as marriages even when they were accepted (such as in ancient Greece) or considered "de rigueur" (such as in ancient Sparta.)

I very much doubt Sheilbh is arguing for us to follow ancient marriage customs. For starters we don't even know how or when they came to be, since they pre-date recorded history as well.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2014, 09:43:16 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 07, 2014, 08:46:25 PM
No, because I'm not justifying or arguing about what ought to be.
Then what exactly are you doing?  We don't discuss stories here about some guy getting fired because we want to wail over their bad fortune.  I would say that the vast majority of stories here that generate a discussion bring up a larger issue, at which point "what ought to be" in the story that became the focal point is a pretty fundamental and central question.

A CEO lost his job because he brought unwanted negative attention to his company for political activities unrelated to the company. This attention appears to have risen fairly organically from civil society, and the substance of it appears to be correct. He was unable or unwilling to address the negative PR repercussions, and he resigned.

That falls within the scope of what's acceptable in my view. I reject your suggestions that this represents something new or a slippery slope where political activity is somehow now more risky than it's been in the past.

Given the political climate in the US regarding various culture issues and the innumerable boycotts and denouncement that have been flying back and forth for years I'm not sure I understand what makes this stand out so much. As I understand it people have lost their jobs for volunteering for Planned Parenthood or believing in Creationism; OvB has given examples of people suffering professional repercussions for signing the Scott Walker recall petition.

I mean, if you think that in general US political culture should allow for a greater separation of political actions and professional life, that's a noble sentiment and one I can probably get behind; but can you explain to me what it is about the Eich case that makes it the catalyst and centre-piece for that sentiment as opposed to any of the many other places where the two bleed together?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2014, 03:46:46 AM
I mean, if you think that in general US political culture should allow for a greater separation of political actions and professional life, that's a noble sentiment and one I can probably get behind; but can you explain to me what it is about the Eich case that makes it the catalyst and centre-piece for that sentiment as opposed to any of the many other places where the two bleed together?
For me it's because it's my side. So there's a 'not in my name' element and, as you say, this has been a common tactic of the religious right which isn't a model I want to see followed. Unlike them I don't want to punish or scare people.

Also I'm still weirded out that OkCupid did what they did. As a company I can only assume they thought that by outing him and asking for a boycott they'd benefit. I'm not convinced I want companies trying to compete by out-virtuing each other.

Edit: And I think it matters that we're winning. Gay marriage is happening because we've heard all the arguments against it - and they've been beaten. Right now judges are considering whether businesses with religious owners can refuse to serve gay weddings (of course they shouldn't be able to). Overall I'm with Friedersdorf that this is a happy liberal open story of how you can change a culture in 10 years - but now we're adding a slightly nasty footnote of Eich and Mormon farmers.

I've said it before but I think the biggest reason America has the culture wars is because people enjoy them :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2014, 04:12:31 AM
For me it's because it's my side. So there's a 'not in my name' element and, as you say, this has been a common tactic of the religious right which isn't a model I want to see followed. Unlike them I don't want to punish or scare people.

I think that's completely legitimate.

QuoteAlso I'm still weirded out that OkCupid did what they did. As a company I can only assume they thought that by outing him and asking for a boycott they'd benefit. I'm not convinced I want companies trying to compete by out-virtuing each other.

Yeah, it's a bit weird. I suppose they figure it matches their target demographics; or perhaps someone senior there feels strongly about the issue.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2014, 03:46:46 AM
Because there is a thread for Eich's case, but there isn't a thread for any of those other cases.  Apart from that, there is an unmistakable sentiment that Eich deserved what he got because he held a wrong opinion, and when confronted didn't change his opinion to the correct one, whereas in most other cases the sentiment here would be squarely behind the fired employee.  Cases where the victim isn't sympathetic tend to generate more of the discussion.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2014, 07:03:49 AM
Because there is a thread for Eich's case, but there isn't a thread for any of those other cases.  Apart from that, there is an unmistakable sentiment that Eich deserved what he got because he held a wrong opinion, and when confronted didn't change his opinion to the correct one, whereas in most other cases the sentiment here would be squarely behind the fired employee.  Cases where the victim isn't sympathetic tend to generate more of the discussion.

True.  If he was fired for supporting gay marriage this would have been a pretty short thread.