News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on onions?

Started by merithyn, March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I have a whole closet full of things I pickled. Cucumbers, radishes, turnips, daikon, carrots, habaneros, everything.

Also, you can't cook without onions. Sorry, Meri.  :sleep:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 27, 2014, 01:22:57 AM
I have a whole closet full of things I pickled. Cucumbers, radishes, turnips, daikon, carrots, habaneros, everything.

Also, you can't cook without onions. Sorry, Meri.  :sleep:

Truth.  Doesn't mean the onions need to be plated, though. :contract:
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 27, 2014, 12:50:28 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 26, 2014, 10:33:43 PM
I was busy today and shoveled 2 hamburgers and an an order of onion rings down my maw.   :blush:

I think I left the bag in my jeep.  :blush:

I think you've just described one of my lunch breaks each week. :blush:

Needs must when the devil drives.

When I've been stuck in Bumfuck, Ohio and the choices are gas station food, Subway and a McDonalds, I've ate the Gas Station food.  :blush:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 27, 2014, 01:11:52 AM
I love onions. I love them raw and I love them cooked.

Since onions are virtually the only Korean side dish I can stomach I've ate a ton since moving to Korea.

I have to imagine that if I ever moved to Korea, I'd probably have to be hooked up to a glucose IV.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Its one of the foodstuffs I hate. Always annoys me when people spoil an otherwise good dish by hiding onion inside it. Happens all the time with pie.
Except for oninion bajis and onion rings for some reason. They're nice.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 27, 2014, 04:32:48 AM
When I've been stuck in Bumfuck, Ohio and the choices are gas station food, Subway and a McDonalds, I've ate the Gas Station food.  :blush:

I don't get the Subway hate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

:cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Norgy

The gas station food pandemic is spreading.  :mad:

Caliga

The gas station diner right near my house has karaoke now.  If we go there on Friday night we get to hear country music tunes sung by a 400 pound man in a cowboy hat named Stacy. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2014, 04:59:24 AM

For starters, it gives me the shits worse than Taco Bell.  That's enough, right there.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2014, 04:59:24 AM

They stole Quiznos subs.
All their subs taste the same.
It's expensive
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2014, 07:29:41 AM
They stole Quiznos subs.
All their subs taste the same.
It's expensive

I hate Subway, but I've still got to defend them on this point.  Quizno's sucked ass.  Any place that would toast a freaking Italian sub without giving you the option NOT to deserves to end up filing bankruptcy.

Quizno's was FAR more expensive than Subway, especially for the ONE sub they made that I liked (some limited time dealie that involved steak, provolone and rosemary- I'm a little hazy on it now, since it's been eight years since we even had a Quizno's in the area.

Although, I always drive by the former Quizno's and laugh- the enterprising individual that bought the place and turned it back into a pizzeria apparently had no budget for signage, so he just used letters from the old Quizno's sign and made it "zino's." :lol:
Experience bij!

KRonn

I like onions and use them in various foods. I don't really use them often but for instance I'll fry sliced onions in olive oil and add them to vegetables, often also adding cracked wheat, couscous or quinoa.  I like how it all adds flavor and more good stuff to the meal.

celedhring

Quote from: merithyn on March 26, 2014, 07:12:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2014, 01:22:33 PM
We usually buy pre-minced frozen onions from Kroger to avoid the whole tearing up thing, not to mention the tedium of cutting up onions.  In most dishes it doesn't make that much of a difference to not use fresh onion.
You have two solutions for this:
1) peel them as usual them, rince them heavily under water, then cut them.  It will avoid the worst
2) do the whole thing under water, peeling&cutting

None of this stuff works for me. Wearing contacts, burning a candle, chopping under water.... doesn't matter. I'm a mess whenever I'm messing with onions. Eyes stream, sinuses swell, eyes get puffy.....and my fingertips start burning.

Burning a candle didn't work for me, but going full on kitchen flame-pocalypse did. Basically I turned on all the stoves and peeled/diced the onions besides them. Whatever noxious vapours the darned things exude seemed to go away under the purifying heat and flame.

Alas, my current apartment has one of those electric flameless stoves  :cry:

KRonn

I put a wooden matchstick between my teeth, the non-striking end, and that seems to help sometimes with the onion tears. I saw it on a movie and decided to try it and it seems to work fairly well.