News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on onions?

Started by merithyn, March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

My thoughts on onions are tearjerkingly layered.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

My dad puts onions in everything he cooks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

I couldn't cook without onions. All my favorite dishes have them.

My bane though, is that I can't cut a single one without suffering a crying fit.

PRC

I hate pickles on burgers and almost everything else but like on their own.  I have discovered on sandwich where they work.  Toasted bagel with garlic butter, chicken breast and pickles.  It works.

Ed Anger

I can't stand caramelized onions. The smell makes me want to throw up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2014, 04:36:14 PM
Not even the "We hate gays and are morons" sauce?
If you ever had Chik-Fil-A you'd cut them some slack on the hating gays thing.  Besides, I just assumed Truett Cathy met Mart once and that's why he feels the way he does. :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Anyway, the more annoying thing is not that they hate gays but that, also due to religious mania, they're closed on Sunday.  I can't tell you how many times I'm near a Chik-Fil-A at lunch or dinnertime and am like "Awesome, I can get some Chik-Fil-A" and then remember it's a Sunday:

Ed Anger

You'll live without a goddamned chicken sandwich on Sunday.

Admiral Yi

If you eat a chicken sammich on the Lord's day you will burn in a lake of fire for all eternity.

Instead go to KFC like God fearing black families do.  :)

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 26, 2014, 06:44:21 PM
What did I tell you about angering me?  I'm not gonna tell you again, pilgrim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2014, 06:47:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 26, 2014, 06:44:21 PM
What did I tell you about angering me?  I'm not gonna tell you again, pilgrim.

MAH HAIR TRIGGER

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2014, 02:12:10 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2014, 01:22:33 PM
We usually buy pre-minced frozen onions from Kroger to avoid the whole tearing up thing, not to mention the tedium of cutting up onions.  In most dishes it doesn't make that much of a difference to not use fresh onion.
You have two solutions for this:
1) peel them as usual them, rince them heavily under water, then cut them.  It will avoid the worst
2) do the whole thing under water, peeling&cutting

None of this stuff works for me. Wearing contacts, burning a candle, chopping under water.... doesn't matter. I'm a mess whenever I'm messing with onions. Eyes stream, sinuses swell, eyes get puffy.....and my fingertips start burning.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

HVC

Growing up onion was the base of almost every meal. Now in my own unless I'm making a meal for a bigger occasion I don't go through the hassle. I'm kind of indifferent to them. Good in a salad though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Put them in the freezer for a bit (but don't let them freeze). Works for me
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 26, 2014, 01:45:28 PM
I've starting adding diced celery to my diced onions a lot of the time.  It's subtle, but I think it livens it up a little.  And I'm a little more sparing with the onions, if they are just for background.  If they aren't for background, I've been trying to cook them less -- not always putting them in with the first ingredients -- to retain more of the raw flavor.
I loathe raw celery, finely diced and fried, or even blended and stirred into a stew, it's marvellous.

I love onions. Unless I'm cooking Chinese food, more or less everything I cook starts by frying onions on a low heat for half an hour :mmm:

Also cheese and onion sandwiches :mmm:

However you can go too far. A friend of mine's grandfather (a Vicar) used to have a raw onion sandwich every night before bed. This springs to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgHHhw_6g8
Let's bomb Russia!