News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on onions?

Started by merithyn, March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 01:34:00 PM
I can understand not liking onions-- the strong odor and taste is not something everyone gets accustomed to.  But what is there not to like about bell peppers?

My go-to veggie pizza is topped with onion, mushroom, and bell pepper.  Perfect balance.

Bell peppers are kinda sour, and have little taste otherwise.  I mean, they're okay, but banana and jalapeno are far preferable.

Onions are great.  I haven't prepared a dish in a while, but I would include onions if appropriate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Norgy

I can agree on the greasy batter, but if you're able to make tempura batter, it's less greasy and nasty.

Onions are in almost any dish I make.
If you have a problem with the raw, Meri, one option is soaking them in a little olive oil first. Add some dried parsley, lemon juice and ground black pepper.

Capetan Mihali

You know, strangely enough I was just contemplating my relationship with onions the other day. :frog:

On the one hand, I really like them in any form.  But they can overpower other flavors when they're raw or mildly cooked.  And I also think that sautéeing them in every dish as a go-to -- e.g. always starting out with oil/butter, salt, garlic, onions -- gets a little boring, even though it is a simple way to end up with something that tastes decent, no matter what you're putting in it.

I've starting adding diced celery to my diced onions a lot of the time.  It's subtle, but I think it livens it up a little.  And I'm a little more sparing with the onions, if they are just for background.  If they aren't for background, I've been trying to cook them less -- not always putting them in with the first ingredients -- to retain more of the raw flavor.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2014, 01:37:46 PM
I wore sunglasses the other day when I was chopping a bunch of onion. :blush:

:lol: I'm enjoying the mental image.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 26, 2014, 01:45:28 PM
You know, strangely enough I was just contemplating my relationship with onions the other day. :frog:

On the one hand, I really like them in any form.  But they can overpower other flavors when they're raw or mildly cooked.  And I also think that sautéeing them in every dish as a go-to -- e.g. always starting out with oil/butter, salt, garlic, onions -- gets a little boring, even though it is a simple way to end up with something that tastes decent, no matter what you're putting in it.

I've starting adding diced celery to my diced onions a lot of the time.  It's subtle, but I think it livens it up a little.  And I'm a little more sparing with the onions, if they are just for background.  If they aren't for background, I've been trying to cook them less -- not always putting them in with the first ingredients -- to retain more of the raw flavor.

You definitely have to be careful with raw onions, but disagree that using onions as a base ingredient gets "boring".

However, I have been throwing diced celery into a lot of dishes, even if not specifically called for.  It does add a different something.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 26, 2014, 01:46:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2014, 01:37:46 PM
I wore sunglasses the other day when I was chopping a bunch of onion. :blush:

:lol: I'm enjoying the mental image.

I think these women's glasses are them. Acquired on a drunk outing.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

merithyn

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2014, 01:41:17 PM
I can agree on the greasy batter, but if you're able to make tempura batter, it's less greasy and nasty.

Onions are in almost any dish I make.
If you have a problem with the raw, Meri, one option is soaking them in a little olive oil first. Add some dried parsley, lemon juice and ground black pepper.

I dislike them raw AND cooked. But thanks for the suggestion.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

I love onions. What kind of freak doesn't?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2014, 01:22:33 PM
We usually buy pre-minced frozen onions from Kroger to avoid the whole tearing up thing, not to mention the tedium of cutting up onions.  In most dishes it doesn't make that much of a difference to not use fresh onion.
You have two solutions for this:
1) peel them as usual them, rince them heavily under water, then cut them.  It will avoid the worst
2) do the whole thing under water, peeling&cutting
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.