News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on onions?

Started by merithyn, March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2014, 01:22:33 PM
We usually buy pre-minced frozen onions from Kroger to avoid the whole tearing up thing, not to mention the tedium of cutting up onions.  In most dishes it doesn't make that much of a difference to not use fresh onion.

:rolleyes:

And you call yourself a foodie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 01:23:09 PM
We usually buy pre-minced frozen onions from Kroger to avoid the whole tearing up thing, not to mention the tedium of cutting up onions.  In most dishes it doesn't make that much of a difference to not use fresh onion.

You are criticising a guy who eats gas station "fud" ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I love them. Disliked them as a child but now include them in many dishes. Not a fan of fried onions though, likely because it is really just fried batter. Do love French Onion soup.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 01:23:09 PM

No kidding.

Anyhow, I like onions and they feature in much of our home cooking; but not all.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on March 26, 2014, 01:15:55 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 26, 2014, 01:15:17 PM
I put a little bit of onion anytime I use bell pepper, which is pretty much anything with sausage or ground beef /turkey.

Yeah, I don't like bell peppers, either. :yuk:

<_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2014, 01:25:43 PM
I love them. Disliked them as a child but now include them in many dishes. Not a fan of fried onions though, likely because it is really just fried batter. Do love French Onion soup.

What do you call it if you fry them without batter? Sauteed onions?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:26:52 PM

What do you call it if you fry them without batter? Sauteed onions?

Sorry, mistyped that. Meant to say onion rings. :)

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2014, 01:18:04 PM
The only vegetable-type thing I don't like is zucchini, because it tastes like nothing to me and it's disturbing to me to eat something, but have it taste like nothing.  It's like chewing on a solid mass of air or something.

Try adding curry powder to recipes that call for zucchini.  My wife doesn't usually like zucchini, but she enjoys the things I make with zucchini and curry.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Fried onions are great. Love to fry them with potatoes and eat with ketchup.

Grey Fox

Now, I love onions, they are in almost every meal I cook. I, like Mery, don't like Bell Peppers. Damn things are everywhere :yuk:

Also, Onions don't make me cry, they make me sneeze.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Kind of the same way re: fried onions.  I'll have an onion ring from someone else's plate every now & then just to remind myself how much I hate the greasy batter.  This one place back in Delaware used to serve an awesome fried onion appetizer that was made with little or no batter.  Still a little greasy, but whatever they seasoned them with made them like crack.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I can understand not liking onions-- the strong odor and taste is not something everyone gets accustomed to.  But what is there not to like about bell peppers?

My go-to veggie pizza is topped with onion, mushroom, and bell pepper.  Perfect balance.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 01:21:01 PM
(doesn't affect me one bit)

Contact lenses. :contract:  I wouldn't have thought so intuitively, but I believe it's true.  When I wore contacts all the time I was like "wow, my sensitivity to onions went away!" but now that don't wear then as much I still get a little teary.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

I wore sunglasses the other day when I was chopping a bunch of onion. :blush:

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM
My question, for those who cook, however, is just how necessary are onions in your own cooking? Do you guy them by the bushel and put them in everything? Or do you only use them in the odd dish as needed?
I use them because I like them!  They ain't essential, but I find they give a good taste to most meals and are a pretty good complement to any vegetables serving.  However, if you don't like them, don't use them, there are tons of alternatives.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.