News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Were heavy tanks worth the cost in WWII?

Started by Razgovory, March 24, 2014, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Warspite on March 27, 2014, 04:05:41 PM
I'm trying to bake a cake in the shape of a Tiger.

It's definitely not worth the hassle.

celedhring

Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2014, 03:59:58 PM
The Japanese were famous for turning out their smaller ships overweight due to the Admiralty adding things to them late in the design process, to the point that they actually had a number of their ships capsize in a typhoon in the 30s.

Was it because of stuff like the pagoda masts? I always loved how mean Japanese ships looked because of them, but they must have made their ships incredibly top-heavy.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2014, 10:51:56 AM
I actually think the Shermans were some of the best tanks of the war. 

bah, T-34
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on March 27, 2014, 04:05:41 PM
I'm trying to bake a cake in the shape of a Tiger.

It's definitely not worth the hassle.

So tanks in WW2 should have been circular?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on March 27, 2014, 06:33:12 PM

bah, T-34

A good tank shouldn't have such a high loss rate.  Also a radio.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2014, 06:41:23 PM

bah, T-34

Still better than the Sherman.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

bah, T-34

I don't think boredom was the main problem.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on March 27, 2014, 06:46:25 PM

bah, T-34

I don't think boredom was the main problem.

Fucking American's and their Rock and Roll music.

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on March 27, 2014, 04:13:22 PM
I realized almost immediately after posting that it was probably in reference to advances (in WW2 things like RADAR, sonar, whatnot).  It still seems like a unique and interesting challenge, though. 

Yeah, you want to have reserve buoyancy and a good righting arm when the ship is built, because experience is going to teach you that the ship will need new equipment, and particularly equipment that is high in the superstructure (radars, radio antennas, fire control directors, AA guns, and the like).  Ships that are designed to within an inch of their life from the start (like the Clevelands) have real problems in that area.  For instance, the Cleveland class 20mm and 40mm guns didn't have splinter shields, because they couldn't afford that much weight.  They lost their boat cranes and cruising turbines (cutting into endurance quite a bit) to provide weight for the addition of more 40mm guns.  They had to lose their armored pilot house to add radars to the AA directors.  All the time, they were having to lose something useful to gain something essential.  Most were decommissioned after only five or six years' worth of service.  The Baltimores had enough reserve to accommodate growth without having to compromise other highly desirable qualities.  Most of them saw 20 or more years of service.

I think a Baltimore class with 12 6-inch guns would have been the ideal cruiser for WW2.  The 8" gun was longer-ranged but slower-firing.   In the types of actions cruisers found themselves in (barring a few like Java Sea and the Komandorskis) long-range gunnery wasn't particularly useful, and rapid gunnery was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

What the hell was the porche Tiger 2?
It doesn't look like the real tiger 2 at all.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Viking

Quote from: Siege on March 27, 2014, 06:58:30 PM
What the hell was the porche Tiger 2?
It doesn't look like the real tiger 2 at all.

looks more like a prototype for this

turret at back behind the engine, sloped armor etc.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: celedhring on March 27, 2014, 05:40:20 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2014, 03:59:58 PM
The Japanese were famous for turning out their smaller ships overweight due to the Admiralty adding things to them late in the design process, to the point that they actually had a number of their ships capsize in a typhoon in the 30s.
Was it because of stuff like the pagoda masts? I always loved how mean Japanese ships looked because of them, but they must have made their ships incredibly top-heavy.
Overbuilt superstructures were part of the problem, but the IJN battleships were generally better off than the smaller ships.  The overbuilt superstructures on some of the smaller ships, when coupled with the IJN tendency to cram as many torpedoes as possible onto a hull, resulted in more serious issues.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Ed Anger

I liked that Nip light cruiser with a quadrillion Long Lance tubes. Made playing SSI's Warship a fun and rewarding experience.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege