News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Were heavy tanks worth the cost in WWII?

Started by Razgovory, March 24, 2014, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I couldn't believe Raz' claim so I checked up.  Sure enough, wiki says 6k & change M3s vs. 5K and change Pz IIIs.  And that includes Stug variants!!!! oneoneone

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2014, 01:30:43 PM
I couldn't believe Raz' claim so I checked up.  Sure enough, wiki says 6k & change M3s vs. 5K and change Pz IIIs.  And that includes Stug variants!!!! oneoneone

No, that excludes StuG variants.

Admiral Yi

Norgy

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on March 28, 2014, 01:44:01 PM
Can I be: Ottoman Empire?

It is too bad they never built any heavy tanks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 01:49:35 PM

Turkey does though! A pretty big one, even.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altay_(tank)

Norgy

You forget the alt-history ones they manufactured from olives and wheat in Anatolia. They were armoured by faith and shredded wheat and had a 600 mm cannon.

KRonn

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 28, 2014, 01:24:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2014, 11:38:07 AM
That's impressive considering that that M3s only served front line duty for a short time.

The M3 was a key component of the British 14th Army's armored units in the CBI theater for virtually the entire war.  It was also used heavily by the Soviets from the start of Lend-Lease through mid-43.

Interesting. I didn't realize the M3 was so heavily used. I figured it was a pre-war obsolete design. But I guess it would still have a place vs Japan which didn't have strong armored vehicles, or with the Soviets who could use it  to replace early war losses, or in limited roles where it wasn't expected to go against other armor.

Caliga

I always thought it was pretty cool that the Ottomans had subs, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Norgy

Quote from: Caliga on March 28, 2014, 02:26:35 PM

I always thought it was pretty cool that the Ottomans had subs, though.

Yes, the first known sub was The Emperor, sold in stands in Constantinople.

Caliga

I bet it cost two extra solidi and they forced you to have it toasted. :mad:

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I got to see the lone surviving T28 monstrosity at Ft. Knox 20 (!) years ago.  Big and ugly-- reminded me of some Soviet vehicle.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 03:45:48 PM
I got to see the lone surviving T28 monstrosity at Ft. Knox 20 (!) years ago.  Big and ugly-- reminded me of some Soviet vehicle.
They took it from us and sent it down to Georgia. :mad: