News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Were heavy tanks worth the cost in WWII?

Started by Razgovory, March 24, 2014, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on March 28, 2014, 08:05:33 AM
Quote from: KRonn on March 28, 2014, 07:28:02 AM
I'm surprised that the upgrades weren't done en masse on the entire fleet of Shermans before going into D-Day, as there had already been experience in N. Africa, Sicily and Italy.

because the Sherman was an infantry support tank, and was supposed to leave destroying enemy tanks to the 76mm-equipped tank destroyers.  If Shermans were allowed to willy-nilly destroy enemy tanks, then what would be the purpose of the TDs, and what would be the promotion prospects of their designers, administrators, and commanders?
Silly me, you're right. Of course those concerns had to be considered, no matter the battlefield results or consequences! What was I thinking!  But then, a bit in their defense, I think most nations were of the separate TD and tank idea, as so much of armored warfare was still new, though the Germans and Russians had stronger tanks that were more survivable/useable. Too bad the US leadership didn't recognize that need sooner and find a way to override the other more political stuff.

PDH

Some of the field modifications of the Sherman, including some welded armor, helped the tank quite a bit.  The real problem was that the 76mm wasn't made available (it fit into the Sherman better than the 17lbr) until well after the landings.  One of the problems was the ammo storage, but overall the Sherman gets ragged on more than it should in my belief.

The fact that some Soviet tankers liked it better than the T34 is telling.  Tanks aren't just in combat, they have to get to combat, be reliable, not overly fatigue the crew, etc.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

KRonn

Yeah, I've also read some very positive views from Russian tankers regarding the Sherman. The US had huge numbers of them and could produce them quickly, so in a sense "quantity had a quality of its own". The upgraded versions were much better too.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2014, 08:42:31 AM
You assholes are going to get me started playing Combat Mission again. I don't need another 3 year addiction.  :mad:

Here's an AAR for the upcoming CM: Red Thunder for you: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/28/the-flare-path-a-rumble-of-thunder/

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on March 28, 2014, 08:48:35 AM
The fact that some Soviet tankers liked it better than the T34 is telling.  Tanks aren't just in combat, they have to get to combat, be reliable, not overly fatigue the crew, etc.

I get the impression that Soviet tankers liked just about any foreign tanks over their own.  May have something to do with the fact that Soviet tank designs almost seem to have been made to make the crew as uncomfortable as possible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

The Reds famously hated the Grant.  "A coffin for eight brothers."

Admiral Yi

I also find it hard to believe they sprouted wood over any crap the Brits sent.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2014, 10:52:19 AM

And they should; they made that thing as tall as a skyscraper, and then they go and mount the main armament in the hull...

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2014, 08:42:31 AM
You assholes are going to get me started playing Combat Mission again. I don't need another 3 year addiction.  :mad:

I shall taught you unmercifully.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Norgy

My first car was a Soviet car; a Lada 2105 from 1982. It weighed one point two tons, had 43 HP and a four cylinder engine and used one point two litres of petrol per ten kilometers. It spent more time not working than working. The toolbox included was consisting of tools that looked like they were brittle enough to break if you tried using them. It was built for neither speed nor comfort. The steering wheel was the size of a ship's rudder. During winter, it got stuck in uphill terrain because of its backwheel drive.
I think the Russkies would've even preferred a British Leyland from the Midlands built by workers mostly on strike during the 70s  to that car.

Razgovory

The Russians appreciated any care they could get.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2014, 10:52:19 AM

Well, yeah.  That was a stop-gap tank before we could get the Sherman going.  I don't think anyone liked it much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I think the Brits did.  Off course considering what the British had to work with, their standards were pretty low.  I was curious so I looked on Wiki, there were more M3s produced then Panzer IIIs.  That's impressive considering that that M3s only served front line duty for a short time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Norgy

The 8th Army did use a lot of M3s after Lend-Lease, if I recall correctly. I seem to recall they also called them the Lee, not Grant.