News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Were heavy tanks worth the cost in WWII?

Started by Razgovory, March 24, 2014, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on March 28, 2014, 11:45:08 AM
The 8th Army did use a lot of M3s after Lend-Lease, if I recall correctly. I seem to recall they also called them the Lee, not Grant.

The Lees and the Grants were different varieties of M3s I believe.  I remember I had different counters for them in ASL :nerd:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Admiral Yi

I believe the Grant had a cast turret and the Lee a welded turret.

Cheap-ass Brits.

Norgy

But with mint sauce and spotted dick, most likely.

PDH

The Lee was the US version, the Grant was the British.  The turrets were different (British was cast), the Grant also did not have the commanders MG turret.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Norgy

Quote from: PDH on March 28, 2014, 12:01:15 PM
The Lee was the US version, the Grant was the British.  The turrets were different (British was cast), the Grant also did not have the commanders MG turret.

OMG BRITISH PC POLICE GONE INSANE 1942STYLE!!!111

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 10:06:04 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 28, 2014, 08:48:35 AM
The fact that some Soviet tankers liked it better than the T34 is telling.  Tanks aren't just in combat, they have to get to combat, be reliable, not overly fatigue the crew, etc.

I get the impression that Soviet tankers liked just about any foreign tanks over their own.  May have something to do with the fact that Soviet tank designs almost seem to have been made to make the crew as uncomfortable as possible.
Actually it was the opposite.  They pretty much hated every tank except the Sherman (Lee, Stuarts, and all the British tanks).

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on March 28, 2014, 12:21:26 PM
Actually it was the opposite.  They pretty much hated every tank except the Sherman (Lee, Stuarts, and all the British tanks).

I recall them liking one of the Brit tanks, and they absolutely loved just about any captured German tank.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on March 28, 2014, 11:14:58 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2014, 08:42:31 AM
You assholes are going to get me started playing Combat Mission again. I don't need another 3 year addiction.  :mad:

I shall taught you unmercifully.

Taught? Jesus Christ.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

HEY EVERYBODY! 11Tim is gonna "taught'' me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

I'm glad we're no longer the geeks we once were.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 10:06:04 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 28, 2014, 08:48:35 AM
The fact that some Soviet tankers liked it better than the T34 is telling.  Tanks aren't just in combat, they have to get to combat, be reliable, not overly fatigue the crew, etc.

I get the impression that Soviet tankers liked just about any foreign tanks over their own.  May have something to do with the fact that Soviet tank designs almost seem to have been made to make the crew as uncomfortable as possible.

I've read this as well, but all things about the Soviet Union must have the caveat that the people couldn't always speak what they believed.  I do remember reading they were unimpressed with the Panthers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 12:24:07 PM

I recall them liking one of the Brit tanks, and they absolutely loved just about any captured German tank.

The Churchill?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2014, 11:38:07 AM
That's impressive considering that that M3s only served front line duty for a short time.

The M3 was a key component of the British 14th Army's armored units in the CBI theater for virtually the entire war.  It was also used heavily by the Soviets from the start of Lend-Lease through mid-43.