Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 09:09:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2014, 09:02:39 AM
Are you serious?  He's an American citizen, he's entitled to enter the country.

...and then be quarantined based upon his travel history.  Or are you happy that he brought the virus into NYC?

Are you suggesting that all travellers from West Africa be quarantined?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 11:06:34 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 09:09:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2014, 09:02:39 AM
Are you serious?  He's an American citizen, he's entitled to enter the country.

...and then be quarantined based upon his travel history.  Or are you happy that he brought the virus into NYC?

Yessir.  Pretty much-- if by West Africa you mean Liberia, Sierra Leone & Guinea, that is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 11:14:14 AM

Yessir.  Pretty much-- if by West Africa you mean Liberia, Sierra Leone & Guinea, that is.[/quote]

I wonder how much that would cost?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 11:23:12 AM

Dunno.  Probably less than it would cost to fight a serious outbreak, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 11:28:59 AM

And much less than it would cost to fight a thermonuclear war.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

A lot more than if we had tried to contain the outbreak several months ago.

jimmy olsen

There's not going to be a serious outbreak in America.

However if we instituted such a quarantine no Americans would go to W. Africa and their would be no hope of ever stopping the epidemic there, leading to massive fatalities there and furthering the spread of the disease around the world.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2014, 12:30:44 PM
However if we instituted such a quarantine no Americans would go to W. Africa and their would be no hope of ever stopping the epidemic there, leading to massive fatalities there and furthering the spread of the disease around the world.

A 21-day quarantine upon their return would cause all that?  I doubt it.

Fate

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 12:37:51 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2014, 12:30:44 PM

A 21-day quarantine upon their return would cause all that?  I doubt it.

Who's going to pay their bills in the mean time?

derspiess

Quote from: Fate on October 24, 2014, 02:26:45 PM

They will.  Or hell, maybe we could arrange for some assistance if needed.

Fate

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 02:28:41 PM

So they go help the world fight a disease that kills 70-90% of people and they get rewarded with no paycheck for a month and locked up at home.

That'll sure encourage American doctors, nurses, and medics to work for MSF.

frunk

There's already been a lot of pushback from hospitals not wanting to give leave to people who want to go help (when they usually do allow doctors/nurses to help during other disasters), citing the increased time needed and risk.

derspiess

Quote from: Fate on October 24, 2014, 02:31:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 02:28:41 PM

So they go help the world fight a disease that kills 70-90% of people and they get rewarded with no paycheck for a month and locked up at home.

That'll sure encourage American doctors, nurses, and medics to work for MSF.

If they're that committed, they'll absorb the three week extra time off.  Anyway, whatever the impact on Africa, I think our policy should be to try to protect US citizens first.

lustindarkness

We can let them volunteer there, of course. Just shoot down any plane coming from those countries, only way to be sure and cheaper than nuking from orbit.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 02:41:36 PM
Anyway, whatever the impact on Africa, I think our policy should be to try to protect US citizens first.

So they can exercise their constitutional right to be anti-vaccine goofs.  USA USA USA