Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/09/29/north-texas-hospital-evaluating-patient-for-potential-ebola-exposure/
Local North Texas Hospital Evaluating Patient For Potential Ebola Exposure

A North Texas hospital has a patient in isolation as they evaluate them for potential exposure to the Ebola virus.
Officials with Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas released the following statement Monday night:
"Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas has admitted a patient into strict isolation to be evaluated for potential Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) based on the patient's symptoms and recent travel history. The hospital is following all Centers for Disease Control and Texas Department of Heath recommendations to ensure the safety of patients, hospital staff, volunteers, physicians and visitors. The CDC anticipates preliminary results tomorrow."
It is unclear what specific symptoms the patient has or what the patient's travel history was.

Hopefully the patient tests negative, but this is scary shit.

Fate

I'm doing my residency at that hospital. Thank god I wasn't the on-call resident yesterday.  :ph34r:

Zanza

I would expect a lot of new colleagues in space suits tomorrow morning. ;)

Jacob

Quote from: Fate on September 30, 2014, 04:21:43 PM
I'm doing my residency at that hospital. Thank god I wasn't the on-call resident yesterday.  :ph34r:

Wake derspiess up when there's a case in Ohio.

Fate

Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2014, 04:22:57 PM

You don't need space suits when caring for Ebola patients. Goggles/facemask, gown, gloves, shoe covers are sufficient protection. Unfortunately Hollywood/media perpetuates the myth and sometimes health agencies go overboard. If this were an airborne hemorrhagic virus, then it'd be space suit time.

Zanza

I think you are doing this wrong. Now is the time to PANIC!!!!  :P

celedhring

Quote from: Fate on September 30, 2014, 04:25:35 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2014, 04:22:57 PM

You don't need space suits when caring for Ebola patients. Goggles/facemask, gown, gloves, shoe covers are sufficient protection. Unfortunately Hollywood/media perpetuates the myth and sometimes health agencies go overboard. If this were an airborne hemorrhagic virus, then it'd be space suit time.

This is how they repatriated a Spanish ebola patient. Actually I'm sure they were aware all of this was probably unnecessary, but they went the spacesuit way to appease nervy public opinion.

Fate

Yeah, that photo is complete overkill. Those kinds of suits are what you'd use to transport a Spanish influenza or SARS patient... but you can't get infected merely by breathing the same air as someone with Ebola.

Richard Hakluyt

Would it be fair to say that in a country with decent plumbing Ebola is not really much of a threat?

Tonitrus

Have you seen public restrooms in places with "decent plumbing"?  :yucky:

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2014, 04:18:35 PM
Tested positive. First Ebola case in the US confirmed by CDC.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/09/30/a-dallas-hospital-is-evaluating-a-patient-for-possible-ebola/

That's it we're fucked.

This could be one of those "where were you when.." moments, as in where were you when you first heard the Ebola virus jumped the ocean to where civilized whities live.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Fate on September 30, 2014, 04:21:43 PM

Howdy neighbor. :)

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: celedhring on September 30, 2014, 04:31:03 PM
This is how they repatriated a Spanish ebola patient. Actually I'm sure they were aware all of this was probably unnecessary, but they went the spacesuit way to appease nervy public opinion.

Authorities really need to stop doing that shit.  It does more harm than good in the long run, though it might be the "right" answer for the short term.