Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2014, 07:55:16 AM
Nature will always find a way to make you bleed out your ass.

What you're thinking of is in fact against nature.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on September 02, 2014, 06:51:22 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 02, 2014, 06:40:55 PM
A dramatic video illustrating the problems faced by local people in Liberia:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29039041

Holy shit, what a crap place to live right now.

Yes, the local people were saying this is the 5th to escape, one guy said "Today makes it the fifth ebola patient coming outside vomiting and defecating."  Scary situation.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

3500 infected, 1900 dead :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2014/09/03/who-ebola-death-toll-tops-1900-surpassing-all-previous-outbreaks-combined/

Nigeria may be in trouble.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/group-world-losing-battle-ebola-25220329
QuoteAbout 60 other people are under surveillance after having "high-risk" or "very high-risk" contact with the infected doctor, WHO said. More than 140 others are also being monitored.

"Given these multiple high-risk exposure opportunities, the outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Port Harcourt has the potential to grow larger and spread faster than the one in Lagos," WHO warned.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

In the case of Liberia, the really sad thing is they seemed to have finally gotten back on track and were moving away from nonstop civil war.  It's like countries in that part of the world just cannot catch a break, ever...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

More about that Nigerian doctor's "high risk" behavior.

The short of it is that they're boned. :(

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/fresh-ebola-fears-as-death-toll-surpasses-1-900-1.1988576#ixzz3CIqcKdVw
QuoteWHO said Wednesday that the physician continued to see patients after the onset of Ebola symptoms and even operated on two people. Ebola is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids, and health authorities say patients are only contagious once they show symptoms.

"Prior to hospitalization, the physician had numerous contacts with the community, as relatives and friends visited his home to celebrate the birth of a baby," WHO said in a statement.

"Once hospitalized, he again had numerous contacts with the community, as members of his church visited to perform a healing ritual said to involve the laying on of hands. During his six-day day period of hospitalization, he was attended by the majority of the hospital's health care staff."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Well they were pretty effective at that body bag fundraising drive at my church.  If you raise it, you gotta spend it!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Maybe they got such a deal on quantity that 60,000 made sense?  I'd have to think body bags have a pretty good shelf life.

Now FEMA coffins-- that's something to get all worried about!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2014, 10:23:32 AM
Quote from: Caliga on September 04, 2014, 07:02:29 AM
Relax.
You always say that. At what threshold is okay not to relax? 100,000 cases? 250,000? More?

When you notice the guy next to you has ebola.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

The 60,000 bags didnt meet QA\QC standards in the West, so they got a deal.  Zippers are on the inside.