Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Anyone with 8 brain cells knows more Africans are dying of Ebola than there were 6 months ago.  I have no idea what these graphs are supposed to add to the conversation.

Liep

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2014, 11:49:48 PM
There's a correlation between cases and death?  How strange...

Probably just spotty reporting from African health departments.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on August 24, 2014, 10:19:16 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2014, 11:49:48 PM
There's a correlation between cases and death?  How strange...

Probably just spotty reporting from African health departments.

:o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2014, 06:24:26 AMYeah, that's sad.

i don't get it. people change their minds all the time! i didn't say it was the sole reason.  :P

@tim's graphs: why the hate? they're images showing the trend of reported cases.  :hmm:

mongers

I not entirely convinced about the practice of flying infected Westerners back to their home countries.

I get the reason for the two Americans was different, as they were going to use the experimental drug on them. But now the British are flying back an infected national and somehow the isolation preparations don't look quite so thorough as the Americans used.

It is after all just one person, why run the risk when they can be treated 'in isolation', that is within the country where they caught Ebola.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: mongers on August 24, 2014, 03:49:11 PM
I not entirely convinced about the practice of flying infected Westerners back to their home countries.

I get the reason for the two Americans was different, as they were going to use the experimental drug on them. But now the British are flying back an infected national and somehow the isolation preparations don't look quite so thorough as the Americans used.

It is after all just one person, why run the risk when they can be treated 'in isolation', that is within the country where they caught Ebola.

(1) ebola is not very contagious. look at the reported cases. it's only a few thousand. i know the unreported cases are larger, but this isn't spreading like some hollywood film or the spanish influenza.

(2) nations are expected to protect and assist its citizens. this is a british citizen, and he can receive better help from british facilities. i was ashamed by the comments from americans condemning the treatment of american citizens infected by ebola.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Stop being silly.

QuoteIt is after all just one person, why run the risk when they can be treated 'in isolation', that is within the country where they caught Ebola.

Isolation there is not the same as isolation here.  Just like drinking water there is not the same as drinking water here.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2014, 05:17:11 PM

Stop being silly.

QuoteIt is after all just one person, why run the risk when they can be treated 'in isolation', that is within the country where they caught Ebola.

Isolation there is not the same as isolation here.  Just like drinking water there is not the same as drinking water here.

As in isolation from us in the home country.

I know it's hard-head, this guy must be a great person for treating the ill over there, but what if one day ebola mutates significantly in one of the Westerners brought back?

My comment may be coloured by having spent the best part of a month now visiting a hospital, day in day out, and you really don't want to know the truth,... there are some really disgusting individual here in Britain, people who don't wash their hands after using the toilet in a hospital, don't bother with the hand-alcohols at all etc.

So trust me if a serious pandemic hits the UK, we're fucked because of the appalling personal hygiene some/many Brits inflict on others.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Have faith in western values systems like proper biosafety containment practices.  And yes, you're being hard-headed.

QuoteSo trust me if a serious pandemic hits the UK, we're fucked because of the appalling personal hygiene some/many Brits inflict on others.

You shit on the side of the road.

jimmy olsen

New, unrelated outbreak in the Congo! Given the lack of resources the WHO has, and the focus of what resources they have in W. Africa, I don't see how this outbreak can be contained.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/new-outbreak-two-people-die-ebola-congo-n187921

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2014, 05:17:11 PM

Stop being silly.

The labs in Georgia are amongst the most secure in the world better then Fort Detrick.  I think the only other place is Porton Down in the UK.  We are safer from Ebola patients there then we are in Africa.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

They are as secure as Fort Dietrick, as they are both BSL-4 facilities.
You get accidentally exposed to a pathogen in a BSL-4 environment, you don't leave the facility, everything is self-contained.