Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on August 22, 2014, 10:21:56 PM
he once made an argument against agnosticism so convincing it helped switch me over to atheism. :)

:mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on August 22, 2014, 10:21:56 PM
:hmm:

grumbler is often right. he once made an argument against agnosticism so convincing it helped switch me over to atheism. :)

He used a jedi mind trick. It works on suggestible people.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 22, 2014, 05:05:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 08:55:39 AM
My point was that we are making fun of Africans with their voodoo doctors and shamans, but in the West we have our own share of lunatics. Or are you saying that homeopathy is not a Western phenomenon?

I don't see how any "Western lunatics" are part of "the rational and scientific West." If they are considered lunatics, they probably aren't part of Western rationality or science.  Your argument seems to be 100% pure rhetorical bullshit.

Martinus' meaning was quite clear to me. The "rational and scientific" adjectives applied to the west were alluding to the stereotype that western democratic societies are rational and scientific while places such as Africa are irrational and superstitious. In a tongue in cheek way, Martinus was pointing out that our societies have irrational and superstitious elements as well. The post was probably primarily motivated to share a ridiculous story he read.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 22, 2014, 11:56:43 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 22, 2014, 05:05:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 08:55:39 AM
My point was that we are making fun of Africans with their voodoo doctors and shamans, but in the West we have our own share of lunatics. Or are you saying that homeopathy is not a Western phenomenon?

I don't see how any "Western lunatics" are part of "the rational and scientific West." If they are considered lunatics, they probably aren't part of Western rationality or science.  Your argument seems to be 100% pure rhetorical bullshit.

Martinus' meaning was quite clear to me. The "rational and scientific" adjectives applied to the west were alluding to the stereotype that western democratic societies are rational and scientific while places such as Africa are irrational and superstitious. In a tongue in cheek way, Martinus was pointing out that our societies have irrational and superstitious elements as well. The post was probably primarily motivated to share a ridiculous story he read.

Why am I not surprised that you found "meaning" in what you concede was a troll?  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

It wasn't a troll. It was a sarcastic post but it was not meant to create a negative reaction in the reader - mainly on the account that an average Languish reader would be smart enough to interpret it the way alfred russell did.

The fact that only you, grumbler, thought otherwise, proves that my judgement was correct.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2014, 10:47:12 AM

Why am I not surprised that you found "meaning" in what you concede was a troll?  :lol:

I do know a thing or two about trolling. What martinus posted was not trolling. What you are doing is trolling.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2014, 11:41:24 AM
It wasn't a troll. It was a sarcastic post but it was not meant to create a negative reaction in the reader - mainly on the account that an average Languish reader would be smart enough to interpret it the way alfred russell did.

The fact that only you, grumbler, thought otherwise, proves that my judgement was correct.

So you are saying that it wasn't a troll, but rather a way of making the point (according to AR) that "our societies have irrational and superstitious elements as well?"  That's an incredibly inane "point" to make.  Next, I suppose, you will be expound on the humanitarian instincts of Pol Pot to make the point (which only AR will get) that gravity acts on humans!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Looks like famine will follow, causing further breakdown of society, followed by further outbreaks of violence and disease.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/08/22/342480343/a-food-crisis-follows-africas-ebola-crisis
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

There's a correlation between cases and death?  How strange...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2014, 11:49:48 PM
There's a correlation between cases and death?  How strange...

:lol:

The first graph also shows a very strange trend that, when something is happening over time, then cumulatively the more days pass, the more of that thing will have happened...

jimmy olsen

:rolleyes:

The slope of the graph in July-August is vastly higher than it was in April to May.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.