Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

They've quarantined that slum with the army. Given that the disease already exists in the city outside of that slum I don't think it will have much effect other than to condemn thousands of those poor people to death.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2024355394_liberiabarricadexml.html

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2014, 08:54:50 PM
I'm not an epidemiologist, but there might be reasons communicable disease outbreaks so commonly occur in Africa.  :hmm:

Not enough "kill-the-gays" laws like in Uganda?  :hmm:

jimmy olsen

All Sierra Leone cases can be traced back to a faith healer living on the border of Guinea who claimed she could heal Ebola with a touch. She was mistaken.

http://news.yahoo.com/sierra-leones-365-ebola-deaths-traced-back-one-065404276.html

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Meanwhile, in the rational and scientific West:

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/yes-a-website-published-a-homeopathic-treatment-for-ebola-article--l1qdO2Pazg

QuoteWhat you need:
1. A face mask and gloves
2. Two bottles (50 ml up to 500 ml glass or plastic bottles) with caps
3. Clean water (mineral or tap water)
4. An Ebola sample: some spit or other disease product, such as blood, from a person infected with Ebola, or who is suspected sick with it.
Any small quantity will do, even a pinhead.
5. An alcoholic liquid, such as whisky, brandy, rum, etc.
6. Half an hour of your time.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 06:09:20 AM
Meanwhile, in the rational and scientific West:

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/yes-a-website-published-a-homeopathic-treatment-for-ebola-article--l1qdO2Pazg

QuoteWhat you need:
1. A face mask and gloves
2. Two bottles (50 ml up to 500 ml glass or plastic bottles) with caps
3. Clean water (mineral or tap water)
4. An Ebola sample: some spit or other disease product, such as blood, from a person infected with Ebola, or who is suspected sick with it.
Any small quantity will do, even a pinhead.
5. An alcoholic liquid, such as whisky, brandy, rum, etc.
6. Half an hour of your time.
At the top of your cite:
Quote"Natural News was made aware of a blog post that seemed to recommend a highly questionable method related to Ebola prevention. The blog post has been removed pending further investigation, and the blogger is under review. Natural News does not condone any member of the public attempting to interact with Ebola, a very hazardous biological threat."
Idiot much?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

That someone had that idea in the first place is idiotic, no?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 07:48:14 AM
Not nearly as idiotic as implying that that sort of nonsense was in any way connected to "the rational and scientific West."  As a troll, that's weak sauce indeed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2014, 08:51:10 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 07:48:14 AM
Not nearly as idiotic as implying that that sort of nonsense was in any way connected to "the rational and scientific West."  As a troll, that's weak sauce indeed.

My point was that we are making fun of Africans with their voodoo doctors and shamans, but in the West we have our own share of lunatics. Or are you saying that homeopathy is not a Western phenomenon?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 08:55:39 AM
My point was that we are making fun of Africans with their voodoo doctors and shamans, but in the West we have our own share of lunatics. Or are you saying that homeopathy is not a Western phenomenon?

I think we are rather horrified of the serious damage these sorts of beliefs are having in Africa with regards to the Ebola epidemic than laughing and doing blackface dances or whatever.  But we do the same when Westerners do horrible things like immunization skepticism or other dangerous anti-science nonsense that leads to tragedy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2014, 09:37:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 08:55:39 AM

I think we are rather horrified of the serious damage these sorts of beliefs are having in Africa with regards to the Ebola epidemic than laughing and doing blackface dances or whatever.  But we do the same when Westerners do horrible things like immunization skepticism or other dangerous anti-science nonsense that leads to tragedy.

True, but I think we tend to view (or at least imply) the former asa rule and the latter as an exception to the rule.

Again, I am not saying that this is necessarily untrue - just that I claim to be agnostic about this (same as I do in the Islam thread) and I am concerned we are operating based on a stereotype rather than fact and statistical data.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 09:39:21 AM
True, but I think we tend to view (or at least imply) the former being a rule and the latter an exception to the rule.

Euros might.  I live in a country where something like 25% believe the world is 6000 years old.  No telling what idiotic stuff Americans will believe.