Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 13, 2014, 01:20:12 PM
So speaking of which, today Polish media are talking about a Catholic-priest-led group of Polish high school humanitarian volunteers who just came back from Liberia. Noone would have noticed if one of the bunch didn't post on Facebook that he wonders if he should be worried.

When, in few years, we discuss how Europe fell to Ebola, you will know where it started. :frusty:

Humanitarianism. I always knew that was the weak spot that would lead to the collapse of our society.   :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

WHO says that the "number of reported  cases and deaths vastly underestimate the magnitude of the outbreak."

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/overview-20140814/en/

MSF predicts the outbreak will take at least six months to get under control.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28807281
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2014, 07:07:55 AM
I guess one shouldn't try and use an epidemic as leverage.

And here you go again applying first world morality to third world problems.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2014, 04:12:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2014, 07:07:55 AM
I guess one shouldn't try and use an epidemic as leverage.

And here you go again applying first world morality to third world problems.

Well it looks like Nigeria took a first world solution - fire their asses. :)

Besides, I've no interest in a morality that calls for strikes while people are dying.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

LaCroix

have these countries had serious and widely publicized epidemics like this before (in semi-recent years), with this sort of reaction? a silver lining five to ten years down the road might be that this could hurt the credibility of the voodoo practitioners/naysayers in those countries. :hmm:

Liep

White people in white plastic suits bringing death to the village, nah, not going to hurt the voodoo douches.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2014, 12:33:06 PM
White people in white plastic suits bringing death to the village, nah, not going to hurt the voodoo douches.

The voodoo guys have been failing to cure anything for centuries. I don't see why failing to cure sick people should suddenly now discredit them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

LaCroix

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2014, 12:42:35 PMThe voodoo guys have been failing to cure anything for centuries. I don't see why failing to cure sick people should suddenly now discredit them.

not in that sense. in the "god, people reacted that way?" sense sometime down the line. some are never going to believe it was ebola, but a major catastrophe with this sort of reaction is a good way to make people realize how crazy some of these beliefs are.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2014, 12:42:35 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2014, 12:33:06 PM

The voodoo guys have been failing to cure anything for centuries. I don't see why failing to cure sick people should suddenly now discredit them.

They have more street cred with the unwashed than a bunch of guys showing up in 2001: A Space Odyssey suits.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 17, 2014, 08:47:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2014, 09:44:48 AM
They're not making it easier for themselves.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-armed-men-attack-liberia-ebola-clinic-freeing-patients/

The bolded calls for the most appropriate use of this emoticon ever :bleeding:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/17/ebola-patients-flee-quarantine-centre-in-liberia-as-local-mob-on-looting-spree-steals-bloody-sheets-mattresses/

QuoteEbola patients flee quarantine centre in Liberia as local mob on 'looting spree' steals bloody sheets, mattresses

Not quite as apt as the uses discussing a certain television duel. :contract:

Now if there was a half :bleeding:, half :rolleyes: smilie, that would fit perfectly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

I'm not an epidemiologist, but there might be reasons communicable disease outbreaks so commonly occur in Africa.  :hmm: