Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on October 09, 2014, 02:08:27 PM
Add Macedonia to the Doomed Countries list.

Fuck. I know a Macedonian.

WE ARE DOOMED.

Wait...which Macedonia? The Greek one?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

60 days to stop Ebola

World health chiefs have called it the most serious outbreak since Aids, with almost 4,000 people now dead. What are the latest efforts to help stop the Ebola outbreak?

Ebola challenge 'biggest since Aids'

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is unlike anything since the emergence of HIV/Aids, top US medical official Thomas Frieden has said.

A fast global response could ensure that it did not become "the next Aids," the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said.

The presidents of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea appealed for more aid to help fight the disease.

The outbreak has killed more than 3,860 people, mainly in West Africa.

More than 200 health workers are among the victims.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29555849
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2014, 03:32:29 PM

Allegedly the Brit travelled there straight from the UK.

Made me wonder... if the virus gets into a closely knit immigrant community, how long before the NHS learns about it?

Probably as soon as with anyone else. Seriously sick people go to the doctor. It isn't as though there are subpopulations in the UK maintaining their own under the radar hospitals and cemetaries for the dead.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2014, 06:26:27 PM
60 days to stop Ebola

World health chiefs have called it the most serious outbreak since Aids, with almost 4,000 people now dead. What are the latest efforts to help stop the Ebola outbreak?

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is unlike anything since the emergence of HIV/Aids, top US medical official Thomas Frieden has said.

A fast global response could ensure that it did not become "the next Aids," the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said.

The presidents of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea appealed for more aid to help fight the disease.

Full article here:
We're boned. :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/the-ominous-math-of-the-ebola-epidemic/2014/10/09/3cad9e76-4fb2-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2014, 08:49:53 AM
We're all dieing. You were right Timmy.

From that graphic, I noticed that apparently Europe/China/Latin America/Russia (rest of the world...) should be stepping it up as the US apparently doesn't got this one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 10, 2014, 02:30:07 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2014, 06:26:27 PM
60 days to stop Ebola

Full article here:
We're boned. :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/the-ominous-math-of-the-ebola-epidemic/2014/10/09/3cad9e76-4fb2-11e4-8c24-487e92bc997b_story.html

We're boned or they're boned?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 09, 2014, 09:47:57 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2014, 09:28:32 AM
So the dude in Dallas died. This disease has a 100 per cent fatality rate in North America.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE

Uh, American hospitals are currently 3 for 4 on saving Ebola patients.

Ok. I'm now challenging this assumption. Everything I read shows there was one (1) confirmed ebola case in the US of A. And that person is dead.

1/1*100= 100
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum