Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

And I love the term "Parasitic Capitalism", but I can't fit Yi's name into it.

CountDeMoney

Meh, just doesn't sing.  Not like "predatory capitalist economyi", "Admiral Romnyi", "Yi Marketeers", or "Yi, you filthy Wall Street slut."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Capitalyeesm?

Doesn't really work with a schwa like the second i in capitalism.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2014, 07:54:18 PM
Passport
Today in Parasitic Capitalism: Ebola.com Squatter Wants $150K for Domain
ForeignPolicy.com

Let's say you are someone who has recently returned from traveling in West Africa. You have visited an Ebola-ravaged country. You are understandably worried about contracting the disease during this worst-ever epidemic and, upon returning home, you catch a fever. You might then go online to try to find information about the disease and to assess whether the crippling fear you are experiencing is, in fact, well placed. That search might lead you to Ebola.com, but little do you know that that site is nothing but a moneymaking ploy.

In today's information economy, there are few more useless money-grubbers than domain squatters, and that is exactly who owns Ebola.com. Blue String Ventures, the company sitting on the domain, is asking for a mere $150,000 to transfer ownership of the site.

"Ebola.com would be a great domain for a pharmaceutical company working on a vaccine or cure, a company selling pandemic or disaster-preparedness supplies, or a medical company wishing to provide information and advertise services," Jon Schultz, Blue String's president, told CNBC. "There could be many other applications as well. With so many people concerned about the disease, any advertisement referring people to Ebola.com should get an excellent response."

So far, more than 4,000 people have died of the virus, and on Monday, the director of the World Health Organization, Margaret Chan, called the outbreak "unquestionably the most severe, acute public health emergency in modern times." Naturally, there is money to be made.

Schultz called his $150,000 price tag "not a tremendous amount for a premium domain."

Damn, should have thought of that. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 13, 2014, 09:39:53 PM
Is Ebola taken as a band name? :shifty:

QuoteCleansed by Ebola

Victory as a whole has resold rustle
The winter of sister belongs to me
Dwarf of the elegy, the oath of the storm
Diamond as a whole has met scar
There flight is lifeless, slave is neverending
There grove is cold, garden is sorrowful

It has spilled me to have interbred in chaos
It has upset me to have opened in fire
Element beyond heap and a bright time
It has pervaded in the enchanter of eternal shit
Hook of the strength, the chain of the victory
It has rocked me to have crowded in rush

(chorus:)
Infection as a whole has escaped holocaust
It has done me to have thralled in salvation
My ghost is today with me

Skull of the invasion, the shaman of the matricide
Fucker as a whole has unveiled rat
There wisdom is supreme, resurrection is alive
Belt of the reward, the fall of the killer
I have vanquished the screaming of my anvil
Sweet commander has outbid my terror

(chorus:)
Infection as a whole has escaped holocaust
It has done me to have thralled in salvation
My ghost is today with me

I am at one with the skeleton
Dancing from the skeleton and the tragedy of kingdom
It has undertaken me to have condemned in mother
Rotten inside, I have cut the sermon that has fantasized
It has bound me to have melted in deity
Mist as a whole has thrust nail

Courtesy of http://metalmaker.net/metalmaker.aspx :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

An African man closed down a police station earlier today because he showed symptoms of Ebola, in that he sneezed.

I don't remember people being so panicky during the bird/swine flu thing, and that actually appeared in Denmark iirc, of course, a 70% death rate will do that to people I guess. Oh, and the Outbreak movie.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2014, 07:20:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2014, 06:59:54 PM
Quote from: Fate on October 01, 2014, 08:01:56 PM
Yet no staff in the United States has become infected while treating an Ebola patient. This is because we have the technical capability to run an isolation unit and we have an almost endless supply of appropriate personal protective equipment in every hospital in America. These kinds of conditions don't exist in Africa.
Hubris?

The statement was true when he made it.  Conditions change.

The statement that no staff had yet become infected was true.  But not the reason he gave and the certainty with which he gave it.  ie hubris.

Eddie Teach

I'd agree that Fate was/is overconfident, but the reason he gave (technical capability to run an isolation unit, supply of appropriate personal protective equipment) is true.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 14, 2014, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2014, 07:20:44 PM
The statement was true when he made it.  Conditions change.

The statement that no staff had yet become infected was true.  But not the reason he gave and the certainty with which he gave it.  ie hubris.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

It increasingly looks like the Spanish nurse will make it. A couple of major Spanish media jumped the gun last week and prematurely reported her death.