Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2014, 04:21:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2014, 04:16:21 PM
Time to spy out a secure location with a good water source and prepare adequate supplies for a 3 week stay?  :ph34r: :tinfoil:

Yeah, this'll be over in three weeks.

No, in the unlikely event that if it were to get a terrible hold upon the countries we live in, I figure at it's peak, give it another 3 weeks to burn itself out.  :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

I conducted another emergency meeting of the blue panel gold star 4H committee of my sock puppets and multiple personalities.

We conducted 2 votes:

1- we voted  again 77-1 not to panic.

2- a vote of 78-0 to euthanize Tim.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Denmark has panicked. An African man, quite clearly of the East African persuasion, came into a hospital and was quarantined as an Ebola suspect. Turns out he hadn't been near Western Africa nor had any symptoms of Ebola.

But he was black, so..
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 08, 2014, 03:09:24 PM
Jalapenos are nothing.  Habaneros will keep you from ever doing it again.

Yeah, well try taking contacts out after cutting habaneros & serranos, then putting them back in the next morning.  I learned the hard way that that stuff just does not wash off easily & that it's best to use latex gloves when cutting/seeding chiles.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Josephus

So the dude in Dallas died. This disease has a 100 per cent fatality rate in North America.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2014, 09:28:32 AM
So the dude in Dallas died. This disease has a 100 per cent fatality rate in North America.

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE

Welcome to yesterday morning's news? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE

Uh, American hospitals are currently 3 for 4 on saving Ebola patients.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 09, 2014, 09:47:57 AM
Uh, American hospitals are currently 3 for 4 on saving Ebola patients.

Hell, even 1 in 4 will get you to Cooperstown if you have enough RBIs.

garbon

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/10/08/new-york-city-deploys-fake-patients-to-test-hospitals-on-ebola/

QuoteFake Ebola Patients Being Sent To NYC Emergency Rooms To Test Readiness

On the same day that Texas Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan died, New York City hospitals were testing their readiness in the battle against the virus.

As WCBS 880's Paul Murnane reported, fake Ebola patients are being sent to local emergency rooms.

The pretend patients complain of fever, headaches and abdominal pain — Ebola syptoms that should trigger the question "have you traveled to West Africa?"

The testing has been going on for two to three weeks, the city's Health and Hospitals Corp. said.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told WCBS 880 he believes a large Ebola outbreak here is "extraordinarily unlikely."

"Where an Ebola patient becomes sick to the point where they're having a lot of fluids — blood or diarrhea — then the staff would wear this," he explained.

Health officials brought the media into the room to show how ready New York City is to treat the deadly virus.

"We are prepared," Wilson said at the event. "We have both the personnel, the equipment and the expertise to manage."

The isolation unit includes its own lab to limit the travel of specimens through the facility. All waste would receive intense, sterilizing heat before disposal.

Bellevue can house just a few patients in Ebola isolation, though Wilson said capacity can be expanded.

The precautions taken inside the hospital with potential Ebola patients are all listed on a detailed checklist sent out by the CDC. Guidelines have also been handed out to first responders.

In the field, paramedics and EMTs have to wear gear that will protect them from fluids. They're also urged to limit the use of needles and similar equipment while transporting a patient.

"We never know what we're walking into on an emergency, especially when someone invites us into their home who exhibits these symptoms," said EMT Crystal Wilfong.

Meanwhile in Westchester County on Wednesday, County Executive Rob Astorino said a patient being treated in a hospital there was concerned he might have contracted Ebola through contact with a traveler coming from West Africa, WCBS 880's Alex Silverman reported.

The man, a Westchester resident, was placed in isolation. But Astorino told reporters "The risk is extraordinarily low, and I believe they're not even going to test for Ebola in this case."

"The person did go in last night when we were notified, and the hospital took the right precaution," Astorino said. "The information that they had that it was not to the level of Ebola, but they are still in an observation stage.

"The hospital and staff did exactly what they were supposed to do and that's how it works, and that's how it'll improve, too, if and when there are more cases or a definitive case," the county executive and gubernatorial candidate added.

Astorino said 11 patients have raised concerns in Westchester, but none have been diagnosed with the disease.

Back in Texas, a second patient who may have been exposed to Ebola has been transported to a hospital by ambulance after walking into an urgent care clinic in Dallas with flu-like symptoms, CBS 2 reported.

The patient told doctors he had recently traveled from West Africa. He is currently undergoing testing.

A new layer of screening is being implemented at five U.S. airports that receive more than 94 percent of travelers from the Ebola-affected nations of Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone, the CDC said Wednesday. The airports are John F. Kennedy and Newark Liberty, Dulles outside Washington, O'Hare in Chicago and Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta.

Customs and Border Protection agents at the five airports will check passports, take travelers from Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone to a special screening area, observe them for signs of illness and ask them a series of questions about their health and possible exposure to Ebola.

If any red flags are raised, they would then be evaluated at a CDC quarantine station.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2014, 09:36:50 AM

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE

Welcome to yesterday morning's news? :unsure:

yeah, well I was busy yesterday.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on October 09, 2014, 02:08:27 PM
Add Macedonia to the Doomed Countries list.

Allegedly the Brit travelled there straight from the UK.

Made me wonder... if the virus gets into a closely knit immigrant community, how long before the NHS learns about it?