News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Adopting older cats

Started by Brazen, February 24, 2014, 09:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I adopt kitties?

Yes, these ones! They need a home and you're already half way to being a crazy cat lady
14 (60.9%)
Yes, but not these ones. They're second hand and you don't know how reliable they are.
0 (0%)
Maybe, but it depends on...
0 (0%)
No, you'll never travel again
2 (8.7%)
No, it would mean you've pretty much given up on ever having sex again
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2014, 02:32:06 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 24, 2014, 01:55:06 PM
Yes. :)

Cats aren't like dogs. You can put a couple of days of food and water out and they'll be fine. The cat litter will need attention when you get home, but otherwise, the one- or two-day travel jaunts shouldn't be that big of a deal. (You will need to have someone check on them if you go on a true holiday, though. 24-48 hours is the most I'll leave my cats alone.)

And older cats are fine. Find out their quirks ("Do they wee on clothes left on the floor? Do they wake me up at 4:30am for breakfast?") and then make a decision, but I'd take them in. :)

I think I've let our cat alone for up to 4-5 days at a time, and lots of times for 3 day long weekends.  They'll be pissed off at you when you return, but they quickly get over it.

Cats are so much easier than dogs.....
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on February 24, 2014, 02:32:06 PM
I think I've let our cat alone for up to 4-5 days at a time, and lots of times for 3 day long weekends.  They'll be pissed off at you when you return, but they quickly get over it.

I've let my two go for a couple weeks.  They frequently go for 7 - 10 days.  I have a hopper-fed feeder that lasts 3 weeks, though.

When I get back, the look is more like, "Shit, I thought we were finally done with those fucking losers.".

Monoriu

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on February 24, 2014, 03:02:27 PM
Cats are too expensive. 

You're just saying that because you think she should order fido au gratin instead.

Go for it.  We're at 4 cats here, and I'm nowhere near crazy cat lady (man? :unsure:) turf.
Experience bij!

katmai

Me thinks you need to adopt a crazy cat man outta Baltimore B.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

I wouldn't, but you can go your own way.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on February 24, 2014, 09:40:58 AM
I wouldn't have a new kitten or a cat that's already used to having access to the outdoors, as I think cats should be allowed to roam free, so on the face of it this indoor-raised pair are perfect.

I'm having trouble with this part of the sentence in respect to the rest of it.  So are you fer letting them out to die, or agin' it?

Anyway, I think you should take them in.  Older cats are cool, and a pair that's lived together that long are bonded anyway;  if you take one without the other, behavioral issues could arise that weren't there before, especially in a strange new environment.  AND YOU NEVER BREAK UP A SET

And you people who leave cats alone for days and weeks on end, well, you've just made my list of Nutsacks To Punch Today.  :mad:

merithyn

Give it a shot. :D

It takes 24-48 hours for my cats to even notice we're gone. :P Food in bowl? Check! Litter in pan? Check! Dog out of my hair? Check! .... Oh wait... where are the humans? Meh... they'll come back.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 24, 2014, 09:00:44 PM
I'm having trouble with this part of the sentence in respect to the rest of it.  So are you fer letting them out to die, or agin' it?

Anyway, I think you should take them in.  Older cats are cool, and a pair that's lived together that long are bonded anyway;  if you take one without the other, behavioral issues could arise that weren't there before, especially in a strange new environment.  AND YOU NEVER BREAK UP A SET

And you people who leave cats alone for days and weeks on end, well, you've just made my list of Nutsacks To Punch Today.  :mad:
Obviously it was your opinion I was waiting for Seedy, and the vote is overwhelmingly positive  :thumbsup:

Although academic in this case as I have no practical access to a garden and they'd remain indoors, British suburban outside is, I suspect, somewhat different to US suburban outside. In many cases there's back to back gardens to explore with no access to a main road. My childhood kitty made it to 17 before falling asleep in a patch of sun, and my most recent kitties are still thriving with my ex at around 14. The worst damage one suffered while exploring was biting her tongue jumping off a fence.

Anyway, I met my potential new kitty kids last night. The black male (probably) is a skinny wee thing, but the white female with black patches is like a little football! Diet for that girl. My only reservation is their current guardian (a former punk group lead singer delighting in the moniker Jesus Hooligan) doesn't know anything about their veterinary history - even their ages (estimated around 8 and 9), what sex they are for sure, or whether they've been neutered. His daughter got them from a shelter and she's gone to Sweden to live with her mother. Could be expensive! But the line "They're usually shy of strangers but they've taken a liking to you" is a sure winner. I'm going to decide by tonight.

But I already have proxy names for them - Mungo and Midge, after a pre-school TV programme called Mary, Mungo and Midge I used to watch with my mum when I was tiny, about a girl who lived in a block of flats with her pets. They currently go by Blacky and Whitey. Not cool.

CountDeMoney

Blackey and Whitey.  How gauche.

Definitely have to know if the male is neutered:  but if he has a round, chunky face and a thick neck, then you know he hasn't been;  older cats look that way due to the testosterone in their systems, and turn into furry fire hydrants.   You said he's skinny and wee, he's probably been fixed.  Also, the lack of balls would be a clue.

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2014, 07:43:29 AM
Also, the lack of balls would be a clue.
I only saw them eating, I didn't jack them up on ramps to check the undercarriage.

Here's Tubster:

And here's Slick:

Ed Anger

The Hidenburg hovering near its food dish.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive