News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Adopting older cats

Started by Brazen, February 24, 2014, 09:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I adopt kitties?

Yes, these ones! They need a home and you're already half way to being a crazy cat lady
14 (60.9%)
Yes, but not these ones. They're second hand and you don't know how reliable they are.
0 (0%)
Maybe, but it depends on...
0 (0%)
No, you'll never travel again
2 (8.7%)
No, it would mean you've pretty much given up on ever having sex again
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Brazen

Over the last few weeks I've been craving kitty company again, and in a moment of loneliness I posted about it on Facebook. A friend put me in contact with a friend of hers who is looking to rehome two cats aged eight and nine that belonged to his daughter who moved back to Sweden to be with her mother.

Given I live in a second floor flat  (third floor apartment in US-speak)I wouldn't have a new kitten or a cat that's already used to having access to the outdoors, as I think cats should be allowed to roam free, so on the face of it this indoor-raised pair are perfect. I'm going to call him tonight and ask to meet them.

The one crappy photo he sent for your reference:

But I do travel a bit for work - through usually no more than a couple of days at a time - and I would like to arrange an actual holiday this year. I couldn't ask my old man to drive around twice a day to feed them, so I'd have to negotiate with my next-door neighbour who has a cat (we're on speaking terms but not friends - we've never invited each other into our flats) or arrange a cat-sitting service, or get a friend to stay.

So maybe it would be selfish to have a pet at all.

Over to you, Languish, to offer opinions which I will in the end roundly ignore.

Josquius

The not being able to travel factor weighs heavily. But I would love some animals. And hey, with this age you get all the fun of a cat but the lifespan of a hamster.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

I'm curious, whats the difference between option 1 and 5?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

When you die alone in your apartment would you rather

1) that your pets dies with you out of loyalty?
2) that your pets will eat your face?

Choose wisely.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2014, 09:58:15 AM
Whether it's a good idea or not.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Viking

Quote from: Brazen on February 24, 2014, 10:03:17 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2014, 09:58:15 AM
Whether it's a good idea or not.

That depends, do you want to ever have sex again? and do you want to be a cat lady?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Get two if you travel. They can keep each other company.
PDH!

Brazen

Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2014, 10:04:10 AM
That depends, do you want to ever have sex again? and do you want to be a cat lady?
Yes. A lady with cats, but not a cat lady. So:

or

not

Valmy

I defer my vote until I hear from the board's leading cat experts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

I would have thought 4 and 5 were closely linked.  For that reason I chose 4 as it will likely lead to 5.

KRonn

I've been going through similar decisions. Been wanting to get a cat, maybe a dog, but it comes to the point of if I really want to deal with the care of a pet. And if I travel, which isn't often, I'd have to make arrangements for someone to care for it.  I wouldn't mind having a cat but having the fur on furniture, cats also claw furniture, then the cat litter box. I just don't really want to deal with it. I wouldn't likely let it out much since coyotes have been seen in the neighborhood. A dog could be handy to help keep critters out of my backyard garden.

Viking

Quote from: Brazen on February 24, 2014, 11:22:25 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2014, 10:04:10 AM
Yes. A lady with cats, but not a cat lady. So:

So you are saying 1 = 4?

This poll needs a jaron option.

merithyn

Yes. :)

Cats aren't like dogs. You can put a couple of days of food and water out and they'll be fine. The cat litter will need attention when you get home, but otherwise, the one- or two-day travel jaunts shouldn't be that big of a deal. (You will need to have someone check on them if you go on a true holiday, though. 24-48 hours is the most I'll leave my cats alone.)

And older cats are fine. Find out their quirks ("Do they wee on clothes left on the floor? Do they wake me up at 4:30am for breakfast?") and then make a decision, but I'd take them in. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on February 24, 2014, 01:55:06 PM
Yes. :)

Cats aren't like dogs. You can put a couple of days of food and water out and they'll be fine. The cat litter will need attention when you get home, but otherwise, the one- or two-day travel jaunts shouldn't be that big of a deal. (You will need to have someone check on them if you go on a true holiday, though. 24-48 hours is the most I'll leave my cats alone.)

And older cats are fine. Find out their quirks ("Do they wee on clothes left on the floor? Do they wake me up at 4:30am for breakfast?") and then make a decision, but I'd take them in. :)

I think I've let our cat alone for up to 4-5 days at a time, and lots of times for 3 day long weekends.  They'll be pissed off at you when you return, but they quickly get over it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.