New food labels would highlight calories and sugar

Started by garbon, February 27, 2014, 02:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I've sometimes seen foreign foods (not primarily intended for a US market) with sticky labels pressed onto them that are compliant with US nutritional facts standards.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2014, 07:43:07 PM
I've sometimes seen foreign foods (not primarily intended for a US market) with sticky labels pressed onto them that are compliant with US nutritional facts standards.

The US is such a huge market and food companies can't abandon.  I love it that Hong Kong can't change any of our food labelling laws even if we want to.  The second we do anything that is different from the major world trends, the large food manufacturers will just abandon the tiny HK market.  All we can do is follow the UN regulations.  The US is so big that you guys can make unilateral changes and others have to follow  :D

The Larch

I really doubt that the UN regulates food labeling. For instance, European food labels don't look anything like American ones.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2014, 07:59:00 PM
I really doubt that the UN regulates food labeling. For instance, European food labels don't look anything like American ones.

Well the UN does have standards they help put together but yeah, doesn't seem mandatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alimentarius
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on February 27, 2014, 07:56:00 PM
The US is so big that you guys can make unilateral changes and others have to follow  :D

As Larch noted, our practices are ones that manufacturers have to follow if they want to sell food here. They are not, as noted as an example, binding on Europe.

fhdz

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2014, 05:33:18 PM
The proposed one seems sensible. The alternative I'm less keen on.

I like the wheel of death in Sainsbury's:

I like virtually anything called a wheel of death.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on February 27, 2014, 07:39:25 PM
What about imported food?  Do the new regulations apply to those as well?  Presumably.  So is that a case of either you comply with our new food labelling laws, or don't sell your stuff here?  Food labelling laws are usually agreed at the UN level to avoid that problem.

They'll be a sticker on the back of the package with a US label. The international foods(POLACK COOKIES)I get at Big Lots had them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

garbon

Ed Anger