News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Adopting older cats

Started by Brazen, February 24, 2014, 09:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I adopt kitties?

Yes, these ones! They need a home and you're already half way to being a crazy cat lady
14 (60.9%)
Yes, but not these ones. They're second hand and you don't know how reliable they are.
0 (0%)
Maybe, but it depends on...
0 (0%)
No, you'll never travel again
2 (8.7%)
No, it would mean you've pretty much given up on ever having sex again
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2014, 03:22:44 PM
Have you considered the trebling of your grocery bill with that one?

It could considerably decrease the grocery bill ... at least, for a week or so.  :ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

Quote from: Malthus on February 26, 2014, 04:16:48 PM
It could considerably decrease the grocery bill ... at least, for a week or so.  :ph34r:
At 20 minutes a pound I haven't got time :P

Anyway, she's on iron rations until she passes her physical.

Monoriu

Quote from: Brazen on February 27, 2014, 04:54:18 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 26, 2014, 04:16:48 PM
At 20 minutes a pound I haven't got time :P

Anyway, she's on iron rations until she passes her physical.

Is it problematic for you to begin a brand new relationship using iron rations?  That's probably not a good start.

Brazen

Quote from: Monoriu on February 27, 2014, 05:14:22 AM
Is it problematic for you to begin a brand new relationship using iron rations?  That's probably not a good start.
Cats have no concept of the quantity of food in their bowl, but by instinct (especially if there's more than one) will eat everything served in case of coming famine. She's not going to starve any time soon on sensible serving sizes.

Brazen

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on February 27, 2014, 06:22:16 AM
Cats have no concept of the quantity of food in their bowl, but by instinct (especially if there's more than one) will eat everything served in case of coming famine. She's not going to starve any time soon on sensible serving sizes.

Cats will eat what's given to them. 

Be sure if you're changing a cat's diet to do it slowly;  cat GI tracts are very sensitive, and a sudden, drastic change in food time can cause things like diarrhea and even Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  Transition it slowly, over the course of 7-10 days.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2014, 09:16:23 PM

Be sure if you're changing a cat's diet to do it slowly;  cat GI tracts are very sensitive, and a sudden, drastic change in food time can cause things like diarrhea and even Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  Transition it slowly, over the course of 7-10 days.

That's just the physical effect, too.  Cats aren't prone to food anxiety quite on the level that dogs are, but it does happen, and when cats start a pattern of nervous binge eating, you end up with a pattern of regularly having to clean up cat puke.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Hell, they don't even have to be nervous for that to happen.  :D  Portion control is the best defense against regurgitation.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 27, 2014, 09:16:23 PM

You know, I've heard both of these "truths", and yet I've never seen it. We put out a week's worth of food for our three cats. They do fine. And I don't even remember what brand of food they eat. I get what I think they like, but I'm usually wrong. They do fine with that, too.

Of course, our cats are indoor/outdoor cats that hunt squirrels and mice. They don't exactly have delicate tummies.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Princess Sneakers of Monaco had a touch of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and it got worse as she got older.  Changing food on her really aggravated it.

I miss that cat.  :(

QuoteOf course, our cats are indoor/outdoor cats that hunt squirrels and mice. They don't exactly have delicate tummies.

I would think not.  :)