News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PS4 vs. Xbox One

Started by Caliga, February 16, 2014, 09:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

I'm not a big fan of buying electronics in brick-and-mortar stores in general but I do think Best Buy is okay when you need it. They, without fail, offer you their protection plan, but a simple no and that's the end of it. It's definitely not the hard-sell I remember from the days of stores like Circuit City (which I believe had commissioned floor salesmen) or CompUSA.

I actually was in the sad position of needing some ethernet cable right away a few months ago (sad because you can get it for a bout 30% of the retail price on Amazon, but I had accidentally cut a key line in my house so we had no internet at all and I didn't want that to continue for 2-3 days) and warily went into the local RadioShack, which is probably my least favorite electronics chain and they fairly quickly got me a 50 ft cable for $50 without trying to sell me a bunch of ridiculous shit like they normally do. I was on vacation once 5-6 years ago and needed some batteries, and their was a RadioShack in the strip mall across from the hotel...after ringing the batteries up the cashier actually tried to hard sell me on buying one of their LCD TVs until I finally said, "do you really think someone who came in to buy batteries is walking out of here with a TV? I'm on vacation too, how am I going to lug it home?" So Best Buy could definitely be worse.

DontSayBanana

Some of the Best Buy salesmen can get pushy, and having narrowly escaped being employed there, here's why:

They're not commission, and they're (comparatively) well-paid for hourly sales, but the devil is in the details- each department gets a sales budget from week to week, and if they don't meet their sales budget for the week, their payroll is cut the next week.  So they don't lose commission if they don't make the sale, they lose hours.

Having been in a similar position, I generally find out what their ADT and UPT targets are, and if I have to go in there, which I only do when I need something immediately, and buy just enough to meet it so they don't have to hound the next customer.
Experience bij!

Caliga

:hmm: How does one find that out?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 22, 2014, 09:52:03 AM
Some of the Best Buy salesmen can get pushy, and having narrowly escaped being employed there, here's why:

They're not commission, and they're (comparatively) well-paid for hourly sales, but the devil is in the details- each department gets a sales budget from week to week, and if they don't meet their sales budget for the week, their payroll is cut the next week.  So they don't lose commission if they don't make the sale, they lose hours.

Granted, I only did it part time and not for very long, but I'm pretty certain that wasn't how the warranty plan concept worked when I worked at Best Buy.

The individual may get personal accolades--usually it's the check out people--but all the weekly and monthly numbers get credited to the entire store for the Blue Crew Bucks yearly total.

katmai

DSB talking out if his ass!?! say it ain't so!!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on February 22, 2014, 05:45:04 PM
:hmm: How does one find that out?

And why would shit like that affect your shopping habits? Christ.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

QuoteMicrosoft Aware Of Xbox One Black Screen Bug
News
by Mike Futter on February 19, 2014 at 08:36 AM

Last week's Xbox One system update introduced a couple of usability features fans have been asking for. Along with the controller battery indicator and storage management functions, the patch introduced a bug that's plaguing some users.

On its official Twitter account, Microsoft has acknowledged the existence of a bug that causes a black, flickering screen after turning on. Microsoft suggests cycling the power fully by holding your finger over the white touch-sensitive "button" for 10 seconds.

This is different than simply tapping that spot on the console, which for most users just sends the hardware into a low-power state. Another Xbox One update is planned for early March in advance of Titanfall's March 11 release. The focus of the next update is on social features.

garbon

That's an awkward intro. I thought at first it was suggesting fans have been asking for a bug. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2014, 07:50:42 PM
QuoteMicrosoft Aware Of Xbox One Black Screen Bug
News
by Mike Futter on February 19, 2014 at 08:36 AM

Last week's Xbox One system update introduced a couple of usability features fans have been asking for. Along with the controller battery indicator and storage management functions, the patch introduced a bug that's plaguing some users.

On its official Twitter account, Microsoft has acknowledged the existence of a bug that causes a black, flickering screen after turning on. Microsoft suggests cycling the power fully by holding your finger over the white touch-sensitive "button" for 10 seconds.

This is different than simply tapping that spot on the console, which for most users just sends the hardware into a low-power state. Another Xbox One update is planned for early March in advance of Titanfall's March 11 release. The focus of the next update is on social features.

Adding social features before the gamin console actually plays games well?  Sounds about right.

CountDeMoney

I thought adding a controller battery indicator was a novel idea, as did Sony when they introduced it with the PS3.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Ok.  I think unless something big changes I'm settled on a PS4, though it looks like it might take a bit for me to get one since they're in such short supply right now.

Today Princesca and I bought an entertainment center credenza thingy that'll be delivered next Saturday, and it has a built-in soundbar so I won't even need to worry about that.  So the last thing I need to do is decide on a TV.  The entertainment center can handle a TV of at least 60 inches and 60 is what I think we're settled on.

Brand and model recommendations PLZ.

katmai

Built in soundbar? Tell me more cause frankly skeptical of what kind they would have built in.

As for PS4, really check the gamestop/target/bestbuy websites and see local store availability.
My two best buys had ps4 on Friday and by sat they were sold out.
Thankfully no time till summer so didn't try and get one now.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

CountDeMoney