Started by Caliga, February 16, 2014, 09:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2014, 01:51:18 PM
Big TV is very working class. :x
Big TVs are very appropriate for big living rooms. :sleep:

I'll give you that they look ridiculous crammed into a double-wide.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2014, 11:48:55 AM
Oh, on related notes, Princesca and I went shopping for TVs and entertainment centers yesterday and while we made no decisions re: the latter, I think we've narrowed the TV search down to a 60" LED TV of some sort or another.

Still can't get with the LED look;  I like my movies to look like film, not interior shots of Masterpiece Theater episodes.  It's all still very unsettling to me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on February 17, 2014, 11:48:55 AM
Oh, on related notes, Princesca and I went shopping for TVs and entertainment centers yesterday and while we made no decisions re: the latter, I think we've narrowed the TV search down to a 60" LED TV of some sort or another.

Consider plasma, less expensive and probably a better picture quality.

Jacob

If and when I go for a console, I'll get the PS4. The hardware is better, I think, but the real reason is that Sony's attitude towards developers is presently better than Microsoft's IMO, and I think that will result in better games. In the console space, Sony seems more together than Microsoft to me.

Of course, I don't care at all about having a media centre or whatever.

Caliga

That's sort of my thinking... my thinking is in part that the PS4 is a gaming machine and doesn't try to be everything, like the Xbox One is trying to be.  I don't really need the console to control my cable since I don't even subscribe to cable because I so rarely watch TV.  I do have Blu-Rays/DVDs and both consoles can play those, and other than that all I intend to do is play games.

I also don't really like Kinect (I have it on my X360 and never use it) and Microsoft forces you to buy it with the Xbox One, which is supposed to explain why it costs $100 more.  You can get some similar thing for the PS4 but aren't required to buy it.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on February 16, 2014, 10:23:10 AM
PS4 once exclusive games I want come out for it.

Though I will miss Forza Motorsport. :(

Same, right down to the Forza.  I've said numerous times that's the only thing I'll miss about going back to Sony, since the rest of the stuff I play on Xbox is non-exclusives. :blush:

Guess I'll just have to come back to the Gran Turismo fold. ;)
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on February 18, 2014, 05:38:15 PM
That's sort of my thinking... my thinking is in part that the PS4 is a gaming machine and doesn't try to be everything, like the Xbox One is trying to be.

I think it's ironic how that was the approach of Sony's previous corporate leadership in the early development of the PS3--as the centerpiece of a multimedia entertainment set-up--and how it failed miserably for them, and Xbox is now trying that route.

Sony's present attitude towards the PS4 is indicative of their new corporate philosophy after the restructuring:  getting back to basics, doing what they're good at, and take it from there.

Caliga

Yeah.  From what I can tell Sony really, really needs the PS4 to not fail.  Microsoft probably stands to lose less with the Xbox One.

Berkut

Oddly enough, it is the XB1 approach that actually intrigues me. I would like a "all in one" media center type thing - that is almost what *I* use our  360 for more than anything else.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

I think Microsoft's aware the XBO is more of an experiment than a bona fide replacement- despite the age of the XB360, they're still not retiring it, hinting that they're aware the XBO could fail spectacularly.
Experience bij!

Syt

I've looked at some gameplay vids of Forza 5.

Pro: looks spectacular
Neutral: gameplay seems largely unchanged
Con: user comments complain that this title is much more geared towards DLCs than previous titles and introduces microtransactions
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 19, 2014, 08:50:23 AM
I think Microsoft's aware the XBO is more of an experiment than a bona fide replacement- despite the age of the XB360, they're still not retiring it, hinting that they're aware the XBO could fail spectacularly.

I doubt that is why.
My guess is that they are keeping XB360 for the time being because they can still make money off it and segment the market.
If XBO fails they aren't going to bring back or upgrade 360, they are going to spin off the entire division.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.