World consolidation into a few Mega States?

Started by Siege, February 12, 2014, 08:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Why didn't the big countries assimilate the small countries?
Why are there all these small countries without armies that survived through history?

I mean, I understand the current world order, that if you invade a country you get isolated and probably invaded (Iraq in Kuwait, Serbia in Bosnia).
But why didn't all the big states assimilate the little ones long before the 20th century?
It would have been the natural course of history after the creation of the nation-states.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

It was too hard logistically to keep control of too large or too diverse of an area.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Siege on February 12, 2014, 08:28:28 PM
Why didn't the big countries assimilate the small countries?
Why are there all these small countries without armies that survived through history?

I mean, I understand the current world order, that if you invade a country you get isolated and probably invaded (Iraq in Kuwait, Serbia in Bosnia).
But why didn't all the big states assimilate the little ones long before the 20th century?
It would have been the natural course of history after the creation of the nation-states.
Because large empires don't hold together very easily, especially prior to the invention of the steam engine and the telegraph.  It takes a lot of effort for one nation-state to take over and hold another.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

chipwich

I agree, Israel should be joined into a larger state containing Egypt, Turkey, Iraq, The Hedjaz and Serbia.

Razgovory

Well, to some extent they did from the 15th to the 20th centuries.  Also history is not a game of Risk, you don't win anything if your rule the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: chipwich on February 12, 2014, 10:07:51 PM
I agree, Israel should be joined into a larger state containing Egypt, Turkey, Iraq, The Hedjaz and Serbia.

A glorious state encompassing the Middle East, the Balkans, and the Caucasus. Sultan Erdogan would know how to sort that out.  :yes:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Is this another one of the Siege threads we should ignore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2014, 10:38:46 PM
Fhdz <_<

If you have time for Languish at work, you're doing it wrong.

Besides, it was a funny pun :(

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on February 12, 2014, 10:53:09 PM
Fhdz <_<

Actually I think you are very confused on that point. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2014, 10:55:57 PM
Quote from: fhdz on February 12, 2014, 10:53:09 PM
Fhdz <_<

Actually I think you are very confused on that point. ;)

:D Fine. If you have time for Languish at work, then *I'm* doing it wrong. :D

Capetan Mihali

The whole concept of "NSFW" kind of presupposes that a non-negligible amount of people will be at least occasionally looking at a given website during the workday...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 12, 2014, 11:02:17 PM
The whole concept of "NSFW" kind of presupposes that a non-negligible amount of people will be at least occasionally looking at a given website during the workday...

I think one can state that as a fact about Languish...