News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you want your wife to use your name?

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 16, 2014, 12:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wife takes husband's last name. Yea or nea.

Yep
17 (38.6%)
Nope
19 (43.2%)
Nobody will marry me
8 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 05:12:24 PMIf Farmer Bob had enough property that people are going to be fighting over it than almost certainly he has a will or would have gotten officially married.

This turns out not to be true, is my point.  Duane Allman and Otis Redding (IIRC for Redding; definitely for Duane Allman) both had multiple estate claimants with viable common-law marriage claims.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on February 19, 2014, 09:17:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 05:12:24 PMIf Farmer Bob had enough property that people are going to be fighting over it than almost certainly he has a will or would have gotten officially married.

This turns out not to be true, is my point.  Duane Allman and Otis Redding (IIRC for Redding; definitely for Duane Allman) both had multiple estate claimants with viable common-law marriage claims.

My point is that it was an useful expedient that made sense back in the frontier days that has anachronistically held on because that is the kind of stupid shit we do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."