News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you want your wife to use your name?

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 16, 2014, 12:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wife takes husband's last name. Yea or nea.

Yep
17 (38.6%)
Nope
19 (43.2%)
Nobody will marry me
8 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2014, 01:15:24 PM
Well don't you generally have to agree to the common-law marriage? I don't think the state forces you to be married if you don't want to be.

Sure, you generally have to agree, but....

"They said we were married all the time! I deserve half their stuff (or their entire estate)!"

"No I didn't! (Or, if dead, [silence...])"

...common law marriage has high clusterfuck potential.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on February 18, 2014, 01:55:26 PM
Sure, you generally have to agree, but....

"They said we were married all the time! I deserve half their stuff (or their entire estate)!"

"No I didn't! (Or, if dead, [silence...])"

...common law marriage has high clusterfuck potential.

It solved tons of problems like this for over a century.  We were a frontier state where doing things like officially getting married were not always practical.

Naturally it has lasted long past its practical advantages but keep in mind we still have our not-so-interim Constitution from the Reconstruction period.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 01:58:14 PM
It solved tons of problems like this for over a century.

Did you mean "overcame"?  The problems I was talking about were caused by the existence of common law marriage as a viable option, not solved.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on February 18, 2014, 03:30:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 01:58:14 PM
It solved tons of problems like this for over a century.

Did you mean "overcame"?  The problems I was talking about were caused by the existence of common law marriage as a viable option, not solved.

Farmer Bob dies.  There is no will, who gets the property?  Maybe the woman everybody considered his wife but they never actually got officially married?  Hence this solved this very problem.  If Farmer Bob had enough property that people are going to be fighting over it than almost certainly he has a will or would have gotten officially married.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 18, 2014, 01:12:22 PM
I never understood why any--especially conservative places--would want to have that in the first place. It seems to me that making people married by some automatic mechanism if they don't make the choice to do it themselves is just asking for a spike in the future divorce rate.

"Makes an honest woman of her" and prevents bastards.  I can definitely see the appeal for social conservatives.

merithyn

I think the whole common-law marriage thing started because of the lack of justices of the peace to do marriage ceremonies, or refusing to go out into the wilds.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

I never understood why any--especially conservative places--would want to have that in the first place. It seems to me that making people married by some automatic mechanism if they don't make the choice to do it themselves is just asking for a spike in the future divorce rate.

Living in sin is sinful.  So if you don't get married, the state will do it for you.  But dammit, you're going to be biblical.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 18, 2014, 09:14:50 PM

Living in sin is sinful.  So if you don't get married, the state will do it for you.  But dammit, you're going to be biblical.

What about living as sin incarnate?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: ulmont on February 18, 2014, 10:37:52 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 17, 2014, 11:02:49 PM
Does it cost money?  It does, right?

I think it would be a nominal amount if you do it in connection with the wedding license, but there's still a certain amount of hassle involved in changing it every-fucking-where.

Not surprised to learn that South Carolina still hasn't given up on common-law marriage.

I think it's a good thing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

To elaborate, because it's free and simple and because it gives cohabitants without a marriage license a chance to avoid being disinherited by intestacy or asshole behavior on the part of the decedent.  If that's a "clusterfuck" it's still basic justice.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon