News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you want your wife to use your name?

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 16, 2014, 12:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wife takes husband's last name. Yea or nea.

Yep
17 (38.6%)
Nope
19 (43.2%)
Nobody will marry me
8 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

ulmont

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2014, 07:45:57 PM
I'm trying to find a shit to give for this issue, let alone two shits, and I cannot.  A non-issue for me.

I would prefer that no one changed their names upon marriage, as it's One More Goddamned Thing To Remember, and it takes me several years post-name change until I can keep it straight, but that's just me.

My wife kept her name, which was less work than changing it, so yay.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: ulmont on February 17, 2014, 10:42:55 PM

When my sister got married, while she took her husband's last name she also took the opportunity to drop her first name--which she hated and never used, we always called her by her middle name anyway--and she made her maiden name her middle name since she still considered it her identity, married or not.

Eddie Teach

My mom dropped her middle name and used her maiden name as her new middle name as well. AFAIK, all my sisters just replaced the last name completely.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: ulmont on February 17, 2014, 10:42:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2014, 07:45:57 PM
I'm trying to find a shit to give for this issue, let alone two shits, and I cannot.  A non-issue for me.

I would prefer that no one changed their names upon marriage, as it's One More Goddamned Thing To Remember, and it takes me several years post-name change until I can keep it straight, but that's just me.

Does it cost money?  It does, right?

Marriage is free in South Carolina.  Just start introducing her as your wife and filing jointly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

No.  Couldn't imagine it out of the serious relationships I've had; all with "unconventional" women, I guess. 

My mother never formally changed names, she used both depending on circumstance.  It created a variety of minor hassles, as CC mentioned; people did tend to think my parents were divorced, but I had lots of friends with either divorced parents or a one-parent household (probably the majority), so it wasn't really an issue at all when I was a kid.

We had a bad border crossing problem when my mother was trying to take us on the bus to Canada, to meet my father later, but our (my and my sister's) names didn't match my mother's, and we almost got sent back (pre-9/11, of course) -- them insinuating a custody-grab -- but for us calling my father up at work and getting him to say it was all good.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

The joke is, she takes your name along with the rest of your shit.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 18, 2014, 12:20:40 AM
The joke is, she takes your name along with the rest of your shit.  :P
:unsure:

She kind of takes the rest of your shit regardless, no?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 17, 2014, 11:46:55 PM
We had a bad border crossing problem when my mother was trying to take us on the bus to Canada, to meet my father later, but our (my and my sister's) names didn't match my mother's, and we almost got sent back (pre-9/11, of course) -- them insinuating a custody-grab -- but for us calling my father up at work and getting him to say it was all good.

See?  This is the kind of nonsense I wanted to avoid.  Everybody has one last name, I don't care what it is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 09:13:30 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 17, 2014, 11:46:55 PM

See?  This is the kind of nonsense I wanted to avoid.  Everybody has one last name, I don't care what it is.

It doesn't matter what your names are. Crossing a border these days with kids, if you are going with only one parent, it is advisable to have a letter signed by the other to avoid trouble.

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

What we did is this: no-one changed their names; the kid takes my last name, and learns his mother's language as well as English.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 09:21:24 AM
What we did is this: no-one changed their names; the kid takes my last name, and learns his mother's language as well as English.

On the other hand your son was not given the secret Jewish Conspiracy handshake.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 09:31:34 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 09:21:24 AM

On the other hand your son was not given the secret Jewish Conspiracy handshake.

There is still time for that, when he's old enough to appreciate world domination.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2014, 10:47:39 PM
When my sister got married, while she took her husband's last name she also took the opportunity to drop her first name--which she hated and never used, we always called her by her middle name anyway--and she made her maiden name her middle name since she still considered it her identity, married or not.

My buddy's wife did pretty much the same thing, as she previously had no middle name. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall