News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you want your wife to use your name?

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 16, 2014, 12:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wife takes husband's last name. Yea or nea.

Yep
17 (38.6%)
Nope
19 (43.2%)
Nobody will marry me
8 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

LaCroix

i would prefer the wife to take the last name. a nice compromise is the hyphen. i would never take her last name as that could be damaging to a career

merithyn

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2014, 03:03:41 PM
i would prefer the wife to take the last name. a nice compromise is the hyphen. i would never take her last name as that could be damaging to a career

For either party, which is why it's not as common as it once was for a woman to take the husband's name. Since women have careers, too, these days.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Having the same name makes things a lot easier.  One of my friend's sons is forever having to explain that his mom is really his mom and that his mom and dad are not divorced.

That said, the mom has a well recognized name and so it would be a bigger pain for her to have to explain that she is still who she is.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on February 17, 2014, 05:21:32 PM
For either party, which is why it's not as common as it once was for a woman to take the husband's name. Since women have careers, too, these days.

I figured that was why Maria Theresa did not take her husband's name.  Nobody would really believe she was Archduchess of Austria with a name like Lorraine.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Actually, I often ending up using her name.  She is the one who books the hotels, using her name.  So when we check in, everybody calls me using her name, and I no longer bother to explain.  There is often an assumption that she either disgards her maiden name, or we use my name to book the hotels. 

CountDeMoney

I'm trying to find a shit to give for this issue, let alone two shits, and I cannot.  A non-issue for me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

My ex took my name when we married, then changed back when we divorced.  That led to one of the highlights of the period when I got to yell "Good, you didn't deserve my name!" as I slammed the door on the way out.

Good times....

Ed Anger

Ike Turner should have beaten Tina for daring to keep his name.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

LaCroix

Quote from: merithyn on February 17, 2014, 05:21:32 PMFor either party, which is why it's not as common as it once was for a woman to take the husband's name. Since women have careers, too, these days.

no. i meant the societal repercussions of taking a woman's last name. in some circles you'd be a joke, which could hurt your career. not destroy it, sure, but damage it