Senator threatens NFL's tax-exempt status over the Redskins name

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2014, 10:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Snyder continues to destroy the franchise.  Ah well.

After the Clippers owner I am starting to hope the NFL can declare him a racist and force him to sell the team.  Make it happen Goddell.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Out of that long list of major tribes, did they leave out the Cherokee? :huh:

I assume they said it and I missed it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on June 10, 2014, 05:48:38 PM
Commercial that will be airing in 8 "select markets" during tonight's NBA Finals game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE

LOL, awesome.  Suck it, Snyder.

Valmy

Right?  You have to be one out of touch idiot to think the whole 'our name respects the native Americans' shit was going to fly.  This dude shouldn't be allowed to run a lemonade stand much less a professional football team.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

I don't know why his greedy little ass doesn't want to see the possible revenue streams from a new name and uniform.  Think of the merchandising possibilities with a properly vetted, focus group-approved team name and logo.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2014, 11:18:32 PM
I don't know why his greedy little ass doesn't want to see the possible revenue streams from a new name and uniform.  Think of the merchandising possibilities with a properly vetted, focus group-approved team name and logo.

Because that would be thinking like a normal intelligent owner...or at least one approaching the level of Jerrah.  Instead we have this motherfucker.

CountDeMoney

And he's so young, too!

Unfortunately, this is karma playing out:  Foreskins fans are paying for Jack Kent Cooke's sin of open collusion with the league and bullying other owners to keep a team out of Baltimore at any cost for 12 years. 

So now you are now destined to wander in the NFL wilderness for 40 years, which is approximately how long this little bastard will probably live.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2014, 11:26:28 PM
And he's so young, too!

Unfortunately, this is karma playing out:  Foreskins fans are paying for Jack Kent Cooke's sin of open collusion with the league and bullying other owners to keep a team out of Baltimore at any cost for 12 years. 

So now you are now destined to wander in the NFL wilderness for 40 years, which is approximately how long this little bastard will probably live.

How come the Colts and their owner are less responsible?  In any case you would have ended up with some shit expansion team instead of a team on the rise that won the Super Bowl five years later.  Big tears for you.  In any case I always wanted Baltimore to get their team back, I am a freaking Orioles fan to.  What was our Karma that cursed us with Angelos?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:35:41 PM
How come the Colts and their owner are less responsible?  In any case you would have ended up with some shit expansion team instead of a team on the rise that won the Super Bowl five years later.  Big tears for you.

How dare you question my interpretation of those events. HOW DARE YOU

QuoteWhat was our Karma that cursed us with Angelos?

Trading away Curt Schilling, Pete Harnisch and Steve Finley for Glenn Davis, of course.

Grey Fox

I never understood what the big deal was with the nickname, I think I still don't but that doesn't matter. Indians themselves have express that they find it distasteful, at the least. It needs to be change.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 11, 2014, 07:39:43 AM
I never understood what the big deal was with the nickname, I think I still don't but that doesn't matter. Indians themselves have express that they find it distasteful, at the least. It needs to be change.

They did so over twenty years ago.  When the Redskins should have changed it.  It is just getting sad now.  It may have not been considered offensive at the time, I think the Native Americans even called themselves Redskins on occasion.  But by the standards of the 1980s or so it is a racial slur.

Grey Fox

Half of the 80s were 30 years ago. It's time to start to say 30 years, not 20.

I get that Snyder is an asshole all the time so holding steadfastly on this makes sense. What I don't understand is why Goddel is letting it happen.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 11, 2014, 08:26:27 AM
Half of the 80s were 30 years ago. It's time to start to say 30 years, not 20.

I get that Snyder is an asshole all the time so holding steadfastly on this makes sense. What I don't understand is why Goddel is letting it happen.

Because the commissioner works for the 32 owners, and none of the other 31 owners wants to give Goddell that kind of power over their franchises.

He can be as heavy handed as he wants against the players, but has to walk a tightrope around the owners.  See Irsay, Jim.  Do you think it would have taken so long for Goddell to discipline a player who had the same charges against him as Irsay did?

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:16:32 PM
Right?  You have to be one out of touch idiot to think the whole 'our name respects the native Americans' shit was going to fly.  This dude shouldn't be allowed to run a lemonade stand much less a professional football team.

What do you mean it isn't going to fly? Every poll I've seen indicates a healthy majority of Americans are fine with the name.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on June 11, 2014, 09:31:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:16:32 PM

What do you mean it isn't going to fly? Every poll I've seen indicates a healthy majority of Americans are fine with the name.

I mean it is nonsense.  The name was never selected as a tribute to the Native Americans, anybody familiar with the team's history in Boston knows that.  The fact that a majority of the Americans that are fine with the name is not a reflection of this particular argument by Snyder.  It was not intended for them anyway but an attempt to convince the vocal minority that does have a problem.