Senator threatens NFL's tax-exempt status over the Redskins name

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2014, 10:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

I bet Nike could make a neat-looking uniform with a B-2 bomber theme and logo. Dunno what the name would be for that. "Spirits" would be stupid.

Let's face it, there's not much cool about DC in particular that sounds sports namey. Maybe a phoenix because it got burned by the British but that would be too confusing. Vampire Squid is already taken by Goldman. What animal eats ravens?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 07, 2015, 01:17:20 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2015, 02:02:21 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 06, 2015, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 06, 2015, 01:36:03 PM

Both Baptists and Methodists are Christians so I am not sure you understand the difference between being a Sikh and a Hindu.  A Sikh being called a Hindu is more like a Christian being called a Jew or a Muslim being called either a Jew or a Christian.

That technicality aside, you are missing the intent of the slur.  It was meant as an insult.  To single them out as being the other.

If intent is a critical factor, then the Washington Redskins team name is almost certainly not a slur.

I don't think a Christian being called a Jew is a slur. Even if meant as an insult, it is just stupid.

Intent isn't the only thing that creates the slur.  Being called a Hindu could be entirely accurate if one was speaking to someone of the Hindu faith.  In that case intent would be the only thing that mattered since calling someone a Hindu is not, itself, problematic.

That was kind of my point, though.   I'd never heard of "Hindu" being used as an insult before, so I'm still not clear on why someone would call someone else a Hindu with intent to insult them.  Then again, I don't really know anything about anti-Sikh prejudice.  I thought that hostility toward Sikhs (at least in the West) was due to people who have a problem with Moslems mistaking them for Moslems, so I don't even see where calling them Hindus comes into play at all.

The issue of people confusing Sikhs with Muslims is very recent.  Probably dating back only to 2001 when being a Muslim in the US became a signficant issue. Sadly anti-Sikh prejudice has a very long history in this part of the world.  Here is a link if you want to learn a bit more about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komagata_Maru_incident

As for not understanding how "Hindu" can be a racist slur.  Well, I guess you just had to be there to understand.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

This case is the only excitement Dan Snyder has been able to supply us with since 2012.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

I find the Canadian prejudice against Sikhs fascinating.  I've never heard of that in the US, nor had I previously heard of it in Canada.  As far as Sikhs being insulting by being called Hindus: since one of the tenets of Sikhism is that all religions are true and equal to Sikhism, a Sikh would find it merely amusing, and not at all insulting, to be confused with a Hindu or called Hindu as an insult.

I guess you have to be Canadian to see "Hindu" as an insult, as CC notes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on July 10, 2015, 08:10:31 AM
I find the Canadian prejudice against Sikhs fascinating.  I've never heard of that in the US, nor had I previously heard of it in Canada.  As far as Sikhs being insulting by being called Hindus: since one of the tenets of Sikhism is that all religions are true and equal to Sikhism, a Sikh would find it merely amusing, and not at all insulting, to be confused with a Hindu or called Hindu as an insult.

Ah I'm glad we have grumbler here to tell us what Sikhs think.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2015, 08:12:22 AM

:yes:

Some white guy who admits he had even heard about prejudice against Sikhs in his own country or Canada then goes on to tell us how Sikhs in Canada would react.  His insight very helpful in letting us know how Grumbler would react if he was a Sikh living in the Vancouver area in the 1970s and 80s.  Thanks for sharing Grumbles.   

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2015, 08:12:22 AM

Yeah, I have noticed that not many people here have much understanding of the non-Judeo-Christian religions, so I'm glad to provide the understanding that makes you happy.  :cheers:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

We are all grateful for your ability to search google and then pass yourself off as an expert in Sikh thought.