How Japan’s ‘BBC’ is rewriting its role in the Second World War

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 01:17:28 PM
I think it's possible for men to admire gorgeous/attractive, scantily-clad women without being fully "turned on".

And gets easier every year.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I think it's possible for men to admire gorgeous/attractive, scantily-clad women without being fully "turned on".

Sure, I'm not imagining that you'd be hanging with your friends at full mast or even a semi - but like I said, I don't really understand the notion of wanting to see naked people and get excited for no...finish.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 01:24:14 PM
Sure, I'm not imagining that you'd be hanging with your friends at full mast or even a semi - but like I said, I don't really understand the notion of wanting to see naked people and get excited for no...finish.

That's because you're gay and by definition have a very primitive and simplistic concept of sexuality.

Tonitrus

The Straight Man's Burden.  :(

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 01:25:37 PM

That's because you're gay and by definition have a very primitive and simplistic concept of sexuality.

OK, Neil.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 01:25:37 PM

:yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Makes sense.  Which is why I never really went to strip clubs unless it was a bachelor party or my friends dragged me there.  It's not that I'm against looking at nekkid wimmen, but I get all revved up and then what?  And any direct interaction with a stripper = total awkwardness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:57:23 PM
That's exactly what I don't understand. If I'm going to get turned on, I'd at least want someone near that I had a chance of getting laid with.

That makes logical sense but that is not really what going to strip clubs is all about.  It is this weird fantasy world where you can have any woman you want take her clothes off and rub her body on you like you are Louis XV or some shit.  But it is the fantasy you generally are not going to get laid...if you want that you have to go someplace else (Well...unless you are a really big spender or so I am told).  I have only ever gone for bachelor parties but I enjoyed it quite a bit which surprised me.  I can certainly see how it could be addicting but I am glad I only did it those few times.  It is the junk food of sex, basically unfulfilling and probably unhealthy to do very often.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2014, 01:33:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:57:23 PM
That's exactly what I don't understand. If I'm going to get turned on, I'd at least want someone near that I had a chance of getting laid with.

That makes logical sense but that is not really what going to strip clubs is all about.  It is this weird fantasy world where you can have any woman you want take her clothes off and rub her body on you like you are Louis XV or some shit.  But it is the fantasy you generally are not going to get laid...if you want that you have to go someplace else (Well...unless you are a really big spender or so I am told).

That makes sense for me up to the point as to why that is a fantasy. :D

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 13, 2014, 01:33:30 PM

Makes sense.  Which is why I never really went to strip clubs unless it was a bachelor party or my friends dragged me there.  It's not that I'm against looking at nekkid wimmen, but I get all revved up and then what?  And any direct interaction with a stripper = total awkwardness.

Yeah this I get all around.

I've also only encountered a few males strippers and they were a sweaty mess. Not appealing.

CountDeMoney

I refuse to go to Hooters, as I find it morally reprehensible to women.  It's craven and juvenile.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2014, 01:40:11 PM
I refuse to go to Hooters, as I find it morally reprehensible to women.  It's craven and juvenile.

I have never actually been there.  Though I did go to Bone Daddy's once (also for a bachelor party of course).  Slutty waitresses and shitty BBQ.  Meh not a fan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 01:35:17 PM
That makes sense for me up to the point as to why that is a fantasy. :D

Beautiful women do not typically run up to average Joes like me eager to please, being very charming, and eager to strip and let me touch and perv on them.  It is kind of like 'oh so this is kind of what it must be like to be rock star'.  Granted it is all bullshit, which is why it was lots of fun to do once but I never intend to again.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2014, 10:03:03 AM
[

But whenever somebody shows me some really popular Anime it usually creeps me out, like freaking Sailor Moon (:x).  So yeah if you don't want me to be creeped out by anime maybe we non-fans need to see stuff other than young girls personifying battle ships or weird 12 year old female naked fighter pilots.  It doesn't really help that the art style seems to make everybody look sorta pre-pubescent.
You're a weird combo of Ségolène Royal  :frog: and Yank puritanism to get worked up by Sailor Moon. It's not like Sailor Moon girls look "sorta pre-pubescent". They might be still waiting for Prince Charming but they have been seen also as part of the Girl Power phenomenon with all the fights against evil.
Sailor Moon was the last wave of the mainstream dessins animés japonais in France (mid'90s) though in some other countries such as Germany IIRC it introduced them to anime.

I wonder if Yanks do not equate anime with Hentai à la Blue Girl or Urotsukodoji? It's not like Leiji Matsumoto with his vintage anime (old enough for Comte Largent) did any real fan service with Captain Harlock a.k.a Albator:

He was into battleships and WWII planes though...
The above 2 may be known by Viper as well but they're a symbol of the above 30 year old generation in French-speaking countries.
There's also Mazinger a.k.a Goldorak for Viper and me in French-speaking countries, icon of the big robot craze in the late '70s

Monoriu has been explaining this before but I'll add an European side: if you don't want the T&A, stick to material approved for children, not late teenagers. Germany with its very strict censorship laws restricts Sailor Moon to people over 12, and Star Trek season 2 for people over 16 to give you an example of hang-up (hint: Patterns of Force).

garbon

I think it is misleading and not particularly helpful to portray the North Americans in this discussion as against T&A.