How Japan’s ‘BBC’ is rewriting its role in the Second World War

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 11:38:15 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2014, 10:41:06 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2014, 10:23:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2014, 10:16:00 AM
To be honest, a bunch of well reputed TV series in the US carry loads of "fanservice". But it's usually quite non-pervy (if massively sexist).

Really?  US shows tend to have fanservice for both men and women by generally having a cast that consists entirely of gorgeous actors and actresses...and at least the actors are all in their 20s and 30s even if sometimes the characters are not.  American High Schools are full of people who look 29 for some reason.

I'm thinking more of shows like Game of Thrones, Galactica (that one's sooo blatant), heck, we were all tripping about the tits scene in True Detective the other day. You don't get much of that for women. Although I admit that media like Twilight and its brainchilds are paving the way of equal objectification of men.

And I love T&A as much as anybody else, I just wish equal opportunities of being sexist for both genders  :)

I don't know why you think that is an issue now (or would highlight Twilight as best example). We've plenty of opportunities now to stare at the male form. One of the bits I liked best about Craig becoming Bond was how the camera followed his barely clothed body.

Put Twilight as an example because it was a movie about a female fantasy that was hugely successful. Instead of yet another male fantasy.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 11:56:58 AM
My problem with Hooters is I don't know what proper customer behavior is.  Are you supposed to perv on the waitresses and make comments to your buddies about their tits, or are you supposed to pretend you're in an Applebees?

I've been in a Hooters once and I found it surreal.

On the other hand, the Bikini Bar I visited in Austin made perfect sense to me.

That's a good point.  I have no philosophical objection to Hooters and the like, but generally do not attend for pretty much that reason.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 12:04:38 PM
My problem with Hooters is I don't know what proper customer behavior is.  Are you supposed to perv on the waitresses and make comments to your buddies about their tits, or are you supposed to pretend you're in an Applebees?

That's a good point.  I have no philosophical objection to Hooters and the like, but generally do not attend for pretty much that reason.

That you want to perv but don't know the etiquette?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

I have nothing against sneaking glances at hott serving staff, but it is a bit off-putting when that's the whole business model.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

It's interesting how Japanese society can be so honest in their attitude towards young women, and yet unable to face reality in regards to World War II.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:14:44 PM

It's not an etiquette issue.  It's about not being a dork.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 12:04:38 PM

Well, *if* I want to perv, I'd rather we all be open and honest about it.

If that's my intention, I'd probably rather just go to the strippers, where ogling and perving is not only accepted but encouraged.  Not that I've been to the peelers for at least a decade...

Syt

You know, I've thought about the topic of fan service.

I find that the series I enjoy most don't have it or only very sparsely. Some that I enjoyed or was at least engaged in I did so despite the fan service.

Elfen Lied would be a classic example (spoilers ahead). One character has been sexually molested as a child by her step dad. Another had her class mates kill her puppy for fun (in response she painted the class room with their blood - not a figure of speech). Another girl gets sent by her foster father into near fatal battle and is (seemingly) put to sleep afterwards. The main characters are connected because the supernatural girl decapitated the protagonist's sister before his eyes - which led to him blocking out the memory.

In short: extremely dark and depressing. And then you get topless/gratuitous crotch shots of most (underage) female characters and silly slapstick antics. WHY? This story doesn't need that!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 12:32:18 PM
If that's my intention, I'd probably rather just go to the strippers, where ogling and perving is not only accepted but encouraged.  Not that I've been to the peelers for at least a decade...

I never understood that - getting horny with friends that is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:38:19 PM

It was kind of an inherently a "guys night out" event.  No girlfriends, nobody trying to look cool to hit on girls.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2014, 12:54:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:38:19 PM

It was kind of an inherently a "guys night out" event.  No girlfriends, nobody trying to look cool to hit on girls.

That's exactly what I don't understand. If I'm going to get turned on, I'd at least want someone near that I had a chance of getting laid with.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:57:23 PM
That's exactly what I don't understand. If I'm going to get turned on, I'd at least want someone near that I had a chance of getting laid with.

Do you close your eyes when attractive men appear in movies or magazines, or walk by you on the street?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 12:59:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:57:23 PM

Do you close your eyes when attractive men appear in movies or magazines, or walk by you on the street?

Of course not. But that's rather different from going to a place to watch men strip down. If I go with friends to a gay bar, always the opportunity for one of us to wade off an pick someone up.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 12:28:57 PM

It's not an etiquette issue.  It's about not being a dork.

I'm not sure it has to be all one way or the other.  But I guess my approach has been closest to the Applebees one you describe.  I treat the waitresses just like I would anywhere else.  Maybe look at them a little differently, but I keep that to myself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

I think it's possible for men to admire gorgeous/attractive, scantily-clad women without being fully "turned on".