How Japan’s ‘BBC’ is rewriting its role in the Second World War

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I remember doing a Google search for Dornier Do 335 (IIRC) and coming across some horrid anime drawing of some chick having sex with a Luftwaffe plane.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on February 12, 2014, 10:00:13 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2014, 09:47:01 PM

I wasn't keen on the style but I will give it a couple more episodes. We've all our own fandoms and I've been rewatching Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, so only 36 hours to go :blush:

Episode 2 is probably the weakest link in the series.  Don't give up at that point  :ph34r:
I spoke to my flatmate who's a Japanese translator and he said that the animation is always like that and looks a bit cheap. But don't judge for four episodes :mellow:

So I'll give it four :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 13, 2014, 07:59:13 PM
I remember doing a Google search for Dornier Do 335 (IIRC) and coming across some horrid anime drawing of some chick having sex with a Luftwaffe plane.

Penis: erect
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2014, 08:01:56 PM

I spoke to my flatmate who's a Japanese translator and he said that the animation is always like that and looks a bit cheap. But don't judge for four episodes :mellow:

So I'll give it four :)

Madoka Magica runs on a mid level budget.  It isn't cheap by any means; there are plenty of shows that are below it.  If quality of animation is what stops you from finishing it, then just watch the two compilation movies, which are essentially the same story with vastly improved graphics.  The TV series has better suspense however. 

Madoka Movie 3 Rebellion Story has some of the best visuals ever produced.

I am not worried however.  Some people stop at episode 1.  Some stop at episode 2.  These two episodes took me like a week.  Few people stop at 4.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 13, 2014, 07:21:29 PM

So the Death Star from Return of the Jedi would be the fanservice version with the panties showing?

Monoriu

If you are into stylish designs and visuals, Bakemonogatari is not a bad choice -

Madoka Magica is Shaft/Shinbo's best selling title.  Bakemonogatari follows behind.  This one showcases the signature Shaft/Shinbo geometric visuals and too-fast-to-read text better.  Madoka is more toned down on that aspect.  Both series feature Chiwa Saito as one of the lead voice actresses.   

It is based on a best-selling novel.  A series of short stories about a male lead teaming up with various females to solve their problems, which are often associated with myths and ghosts.  The source material is very dialogue heavy, with little action.  One of the selling points of the anime is the techniques used to turn an otherwise boring story into a visually appealing one, even with the absence of much action.  53 episodes (so far), excluding the 3 summary ones. 

Sheilbh

My flatmate also recommended Evangelion, Samurai Chombla (or something like it, the last word means 'mash-up' named after an Okinawan food and the hip hop influences) and something else I've forgotten. Thoughts?

Edit: Also how many episodes of Madoka. The site I'm using has 12 and 3 movies. Is that right?
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

I wonder what the fanservice illustration is for a motherfucking B-29 from Operation Meetinghouse.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 05:24:51 PM
The French modeled her after a French mom.

Did they intend the base to be inscribed with "One Weird Tip"?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2014, 09:01:50 PM
My flatmate also recommended Evangelion, Samurai Chombla (or something like it, the last word means 'mash-up' named after an Okinawan food and the hip hop influences) and something else I've forgotten. Thoughts?

Edit: Also how many episodes of Madoka. The site I'm using has 12 and 3 movies. Is that right?

12 episodes and 3 movies is correct.  Movie 1 (Beginning Story) is a summary of ep. 1-8.  Movie 2 (Eternal Story) is a summary of ep. 9-12.  Movie 3 (Rebellion Story) is a sequel.  Only the camera-rip of movie 3 is available right now.  The blu-ray will come out on 2 April 2014. 

Never heard of Samurai Chombla.

Neon Genesis Evangelion – One of the most famous and divisive anime shows in existence.  Some consider this the holy grail of mecha shows and a new standard in story-telling.  Others say it is an unfinished mind-screw made by monkeys on drugs.  There is probably a bit of truth in both extremes.  The show is packed with memorable characters, iconic scenes, nightmare inducing explicit material, psychological analysis, religious symbolism, and unresolved plot points.  Madoka is very clean and has very little on-screen blood.  Evangelion was what made the Japanese finally impose some degree of censorship on prime time.  It is a love-it or hate-it show.  Personally, I like Madoka a lot more, because it has a resolved plot. 

There are multiple different official versions of Eva floating around, with at least 3 alternative continuities that are mutually incompatible. 

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Mono's turning Japanese, yes, I think he's turning Japanese, I really think so.