How Japan’s ‘BBC’ is rewriting its role in the Second World War

Started by jimmy olsen, February 09, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

The 3 versions of Eva are like this. 

In the mid-90s, they made a TV series with 26 episodes.  Made a real impact.  But let's just say that the ending is...unconventional.  I am being *very* generous here.  Fans sent death letters to the director, etc. 

So a year or two later, he made some movies to give an alternative ending.  Then he made further changes to these movies.  If you are new to the show, all you really need to know is that there are 26 original episodes, 4 director's cut episodes that replace ep. 21-24 (with additional material), a movie called Death (True) 2 that is a summary of episodes 1-24, another movie called End of Evangelion which provides an alternative version to the original ep 25 and 26. 

10 years later, the director formed his own company, and decided to do a remake of his own show.  4 movies called Rebuild of Evangelion.  They have odd titles -

Movie 1: You are (not) alone.  Basically a retelling of the original ep1-6.

Movie 2: You can (not) advance.  Retells ep 8-19, but this time with significant plot changes.

Movie 3: You can (not) redo.  Diverges from the original anime series, going toward a new direction.

Movie 4: not yet released.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2014, 09:17:48 PM
Mono's turning Japanese, yes, I think he's turning Japanese, I really think so.

I wish I understand Japanese and don't need to rely on subtitles  :blush:

Ed Anger

Seedy's pop culture reference falls flat.  :(

I got it bro, I got it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 13, 2014, 09:43:11 PM

I got it bro, I got it.

Needs to be re-done with anime accompaniment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 13, 2014, 09:43:11 PM

I got it bro, I got it.

I bet most of us got it. It's just Mono's idea of rock music is something like a Korean version of the Spice Girls.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2014, 09:01:50 PM
My flatmate also recommended Evangelion, Samurai Chombla
Evangelion is massively overrated. Samurai Champloo is great, as is Cowboy Beebop, which was made by the same folks. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 13, 2014, 10:08:28 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2014, 09:01:50 PM
My flatmate also recommended Evangelion, Samurai Chombla
Evangelion is massively overrated. Samurai Champloo is great, as is Cowboy Beebop, which was made by the same folks.
Cowboy Beebop is the other one he recommended.

He said Evangelion was like Madoka in that they're both sort of deconstructions of traditional genres (mecha and magic girls). I'll see.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

I think all anime fans should give Eva a chance.  Agree that it is not everybody's cup of tea (it certainly isn't mine).  Having watched it, I think there are valid reasons why it is commonly considered a masterpiece. 

Don't have the time to watch Cowboy Bebop yet.  Has been sittig on my harddrive forever.  It is most famous for its use of Jazz music, composed by the legendary Yoko Kanno.  That's all I know. 

First time I've ever heard of Samurai Champloo.  I will try it out  :)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Josquius

I don't rate samurai champloo. It has one or two fun episodes but is generally rather meh stuff for teenage boys.

Cowboy bebop is fantastic. And yes. Best known in japan for its music, the composer is famous but nobody knows the anime.

Evangelism starts great then gets rather weird. But still ok.

I've tried Madoka but it just doesn't hook me.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

I watched Star Blazers as a kid.

And Voltron.  And Robotech too.

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on February 13, 2014, 02:29:59 PMI like me some tits as much as any man, and moreso than most.

But here's the thing - tits are pretty easy to find, at least from the standpoint of finding some to look at, whether on film or tv.

Excellent filmmaking? That is much, MUCH more rare.

Which is why I like some gratuitous T&A in my Game of Thrones, but a little bit goes a long way - over the top tits where they dominate the scene annoy's me greatly, because I cannot help but be jealous of every minute of screen time.

I would say that it depends on the show. In a serious character drama gratuitous and unnecessary T&A can be rather detrimental to the experience. In a comedy, or OTT action romp it can work much better. There's exceptions to both, obviously.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.