I'm a centrist, he's not a bully
6 (19.4%)
I'm a righty, he's a bully.
4 (12.9%)
I'm a righty, he's not a bully.
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:25:21 PMObservation.  The media.

why would that be the case, though? i'm not flat out denying it since i don't have the numbers, but how would that make sense that a certain political ideology (when it's a 50-50 ideological split across the nation) has more hecklers?

also, to answer your OP's question: i'm not sure that he's a bully, but he does seem to have problems handling criticism from strictly those videos

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 08:39:13 PM
why would that be the case, though? i'm not flat out denying it since i don't have the numbers, but how would that make sense that a certain political ideology (when it's a 50-50 ideological split across the nation) has more hecklers?

:huh:Why would it not make sense?  We see all the time generalizations about the differences between red state voters and blue state voters.  This one goes to church more, this one has higher education, etc., etc.

As to a theory to explain it, I believe it's a result of 1960s protest politics.

Quotealso, to answer your OP's question: i'm not sure that he's a bully, but he does seem to have problems handling criticism from strictly those videos

:huh:We don't even know what the other person said in most of the videos.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:47:27 PM
:huh: We don't even know what the other person said in most of the videos.

Do we really need to know what the other person said to conclude from his responses that Christie has issues handling criticism?  Really?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:30:39 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2014, 08:27:14 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 08:15:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:12:22 PM
Well, I'll also reiterate my previous statement that heckling et al are generally the province of the left.
YOU LIE!
I was going to post that.  :P

Keep going...

That was all I was going to post.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2014, 08:53:30 PM
Do we really need to know what the other person said to conclude from his responses that Christie has issues handling criticism?  Really?

Absofuckinglutely.  "Christie, you're a douchebag" is not criticism that people are expected to "handle."

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:47:27 PM:huh: Why would it not make sense?  We see all the time generalizations about the differences between red state voters and blue state voters.  This one goes to church more, this one has higher education, etc., etc.

As to a theory to explain it, I believe it's a result of 1960s protest politics.

:huh: We don't even know what the other person said in most of the videos.

we're not including protesters, correct? just hecklers? also, could it be that liberal hecklers annoy you more (for whatever reason), hence you're more prone to remembering their heckles over the conservative ones?

yes, and of the videos i saw, it didn't seem like he could handle criticism very well. especially with the constituent, but also the doctor and the heckler. the street video - no idea what occurred there. SEAL video, criticism, again. it's witnessed again with the teacher. i question whether he's a bully because i'm not sure if he's intentionally trying to use power to beat others into submission. but he does seem to have a problem with handling someone disagreeing with him in a conversation

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 31, 2014, 07:21:48 PM
I'm not yet convinced he's done anything wrong, but he's enough of a bully I wouldn't want to work for him.

Bingo.  Whether governor or president, it's kinda hard to justify his behavior in a job that's supposed to be virtually all leadership.  There's a difference between taking charge and being an asshole.
Experience bij!

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:59:33 PM

Absofuckinglutely.  "Christie, you're a douchebag" is not criticism that people are expected to "handle."

Do you remember the time that Romney got glitterbombed, and he played it off as "alright! thanks guys! we are having a party throwing confetti! you're excited, i'm excited, things are going great!"

I thought that was his most awesome moment in the campaign.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:59:33 PM

When you're governor it is.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 09:00:20 PM
we're not including protesters, correct? just hecklers?

We're including people that yell shit while someone else is giving a speech.

Quotealso, could it be that liberal hecklers annoy you more (for whatever reason), hence you're more prone to remembering their heckles over the conservative ones?

Sure, in the same way that you don't pay attention to something that might be unpleasant is a possibility.  I'll make you a bet: Republican candidates for president in the next election get heckled more than Democratic candidates.  You watch out for heckling of Democratic candidates, I'll watch out for heckling of Republican candidates.

Quoteyes, and of the videos i saw, it didn't seem like he could handle criticism very well. especially with the constituent, but also the doctor and the heckler. the street video - no idea what occurred there. SEAL video, criticism, again. it's witnessed again with the teacher. i question whether he's a bully because i'm not sure if he's intentionally trying to use power to beat others into submission. but he does seem to have a problem with handling someone disagreeing with him in a conversation

The doctor didn't criticize his policies AFAICT, she made a medical diagnosis.  Christie responded politely and informatively to the actual question raised by the teacher, he objected to her behavior while he was responding.  The SEAL video we don't know what the other guy said.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:59:33 PMAbsofuckinglutely.  "Christie, you're a douchebag" is not criticism that people are expected to "handle."

these aren't people we're referring to, though. these are elected officials who are held to a higher standard

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 09:08:16 PM
these aren't people we're referring to, though. these are elected officials who are held to a higher standard

Well, if that's what you meant by not handling criticism, then I agree.  And I think no one should be expected to "handle criticism."  I think people who want to get attention for being dickheads should post a video of themselves on Youtube.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 09:06:49 PMSure, in the same way that you don't pay attention to something that might be unpleasant is a possibility.  I'll make you a bet: Republican candidates for president in the next election get heckled more than Democratic candidates.  You watch out for heckling of Democratic candidates, I'll watch out for heckling of Republican candidates.

The doctor didn't criticize his policies AFAICT, she made a medical diagnosis.  Christie responded politely and informatively to the actual question raised by the teacher, he objected to her behavior while he was responding.  The SEAL video we don't know what the other guy said.

that's a very flawed system of finding out who heckles more, though. i spent a little bit looking on google but couldn't find any hard evidence either way

i'm not referring to strictly policies. christie responded when he perceived disagreement during the conversation. same with the SEAL guy. we don't hear what SEAL said, but you could tell he was disagreeing with christie. christie seems fine with responding to a constituent who has made a point, but then he wants that person to shut up and not disagree any further - maybe because it's now "personal" as opposed to strictly re: policies? now, that's just from the videos. maybe those are cherry-picked, i don't know

Admiral Yi

:yeahright: They were cherrypicked by Mother Jones.