I'm a centrist, he's not a bully
6 (19.4%)
I'm a righty, he's a bully.
4 (12.9%)
I'm a righty, he's not a bully.
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I think whether he's a bully or not kind of depends on how you view the other person. I've said before I think his schtick is very direct and aggressive - or very Jersey. I wonder if Christie may just be quite honest and up front about it. I imagine politics is fall of this sort of alpha male testosterone ('keep walking') but most politicians hide it behind anodyne statements and 'with all due respect', whereas Christie's out and proud. But I thought it would have limited appeal elsewhere (though I changed my mind after Sandy) and also thought it would fall foul if one of these magic moments was with a very sympathetic 'victim'.

Kind of like how Brown's 'bigoted woman' comment was so much worse because she turned out to be a former Labour voting grandmother who spent her time volunteering with disabled kids. Had she turned out to be a BNP activist then it wouldn't have mattered.

The 8th clip doesn't have context which is annoying but it does seem very strange for an elected official (especially the guy who isn't Christie joining in with the 'keep walking'). On the other hand it reminds me of a Labour MP who I quite liked, in 2005 he was part of a fly on the wall. He was on the stump in Wolverhampton, I think, and some woman started shouting at him about immigration and so on and he confronted her and basically 'you're wrong madam and here's why'. She told him it was all lies they're all the same and started walking away. He followed her carrying on making her point and then chased her while she was trying to run away.

Edit: And I am unsure how I feel about it in terms of how an elected official should behave to voters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 07:53:30 PM
I think whether he's a bully or not kind of depends on how you view the other person.

TOTALLY CORRECT

It's unfortunate that with the exception of the lady asking about Christie's kids in private school (which, incidentally, I consider the most questionable of the 7 clips) none of the interlocutors' comments are recorded on tape.  Well, the teacher is, but the part that Christie objected to ("the giggle") is not.

That given, can we safely assume that the comments were rude?  Then the question becomes what is acceptable behavior in an elected official in response to baiting/hectoring/heckling.  I think it's perfectly acceptable to respond in kind to a provocation.  Never draw first blood, and tit for tat.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:05:49 PM
That given, can we safely assume that the comments were rude?  Then the question becomes what is acceptable behavior in an elected official in response to baiting/hectoring/heckling.  I think it's perfectly acceptable to respond in kind to a provocation.  Never draw first blood, and tit for tat.
Christie's comments?

I don't know. On the one hand I think I quite like direct politicians - but I still think they should play the ball - no need for 'idiot' comments, or 'keep walking'. On the other hand I think baiting and hectoring are part of the job and you should still treat voters with respect, Tony Blair's masochism tour springs to mind.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Well, I'll also reiterate my previous statement that heckling et al are generally the province of the left.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:12:22 PM
Well, I'll also reiterate my previous statement that heckling et al are generally the province of the left.

?

Sheilbh

YOU LIE!
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2014, 08:16:04 PMCan you narrow down the question a smidge?

if you're saying those on the left are more prone to heckling/etc. than the right, then where do you get that from?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 08:21:32 PM
Why do you assume that?

Because if Christie were responding like that to a neutral, benign comment or question, he would be a psychotic.  And his numerous enemies in the media would be bending over backwards to demonstrate how benign the comments were.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 08:24:09 PM
if you're saying those on the left are more prone to heckling/etc. than the right, then where do you get that from?

Observation.  The media.

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 08:15:30 PM
YOU LIE!
I was going to post that.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2014, 08:27:14 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2014, 08:15:30 PM
YOU LIE!
I was going to post that.  :P

Keep going...