News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Couldn't have happened to a nicer company, something similar was tried in London with rubbish bins, may have been a different company.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I "liked" this statement from the city (before it was announced they would be removed):

http://www.businessinsider.com/titan-installs-beacons-into-500-new-york-city-phone-booths-2014-10

QuoteThat installation was given the green light without notifying or consulting residents because Titan was installing the beacons for "maintenance purpose only," a DoITT spokesman told BuzzFeed News. Any "explicit commercialization" of the beacons would require more formal city approval, the report says.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

People install new payphone booths?  :hmm:

Seems to me those things are going the way of the buggy whip.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

No, as far as I know they were putting devices in existing telephone booths. I'd definitely be angry if the city was creating new telephone booths as those are essentially just homeless person pee spots.  Only ones I've seen properly used a few times are ones that are located on subway platforms.

Meanwhile, I think I noted that when in Montreal I saw so many clean looking telephone booths. I was so confused on why there were so many.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Maybe they give everyone government housing so there aren't as many homeless to pee on them.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

derspiess

Has the mayor killed any more groundhogs lately?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/new-york-pd-looks-for-possible-terror-connection-in-hatchet

QuoteNYPD Looks For Possible Terror Connection In Hatchet Attack On Officers

Two officers were injured Thursday by a man wielding a hatchet. Investigators Thursday were trying to determine if the man had a connection to radical Islam.

A man with a hatchet attacked a group of police officers Thursday in New York City, and investigators are trying to determine if the incident has a possible terror connection.

The man, identified as 32-year-old Zale Thompson, attacked the officers Thursday in Queens while they were posing for a photo. One officer took a blow to the head and was in critical condition Thursday evening. Another officer was struck in the arm.

Police reportedly are investigating the attack for any possible terror connections. CNN correspondent Jim Sciutto reported Thursday that investigators suspected a link to radical Islam and police were specifically looking into posts Thompson made on social media.

A Facebook page matching Thompson's name and location showed a photo of a masked fighter, as well as a banner with Arabic writing.

It was ultimately unclear Thursday if investigators had actually turned up any terror connection.

A police spokesman told BuzzFeed News Thursday that he was "not aware" of any connection between the attack and terrorism. CNN also quoted another department spokesman who made a similar statement.

Police shot and killed Thompson during the attack.

Now while awful all around, it seems like it'd be shortsighted to plan a terrorist attack that consisted solely of attacking the NYPD. -_-

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/man-islamic-extremist-leanings-attacks-ny-police-083342808.html

So he was someone with radical islamic leanings.

QuoteMan with 'Islamic extremist leanings' attacks NY police

The man who attacked New York City police officers with a hatchet before being shot dead was reported to have Islamic "extremist leanings" police and a monitoring group said.

The man, identified in the US media as Zale Thompson, had posted an array of statements on YouTube and Facebook that "display a hyper-racial focus in both religious and historical contexts, and ultimately hint at his extremist leanings," the SITE monitoring group said.

Four rookie police officers in the city's Queens borough were posing for a photograph at the request of a freelance photographer when the man walked up and without saying a word attacked them with the hatchet, a city hall statement said.

One officer was hit in the arm and another in the head before the other officers shot and killed the attacker, according to police commissioner Bill Bratton.

A 29-year-old bystander was accidentally hit by a bullet in the lower back and taken to a hospital, while the man who took the photograph was cooperating with police and was not considered a suspect, Bratton said.

The officer with the head injury was in critical but stable condition in the hospital.

New York's Finest!

derspiess

How can you continue to live in a hellhole like that with cops randomly shooting people, particularly people of color?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 11:11:30 AM
How can you continue to live in a hellhole like that with cops randomly shooting people, particularly people of color?

Easy. I'm never walking around in Queens. ^_^

derspiess

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

In an effort to stay classy.../avoid dealing with the issue of why we have a society where the parents (and in this case, the mayor) have to warn their non-white children about interactions with the police.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/pba-de-blasio-melissa-mark-viverito-stay-home-die-article-1.2043395

QuotePatrolmen's Benevolent Association to Mayor de Blasio, Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito: Stay home if we die on duty

The PBA posted a downloadable form for members to send in that cites, in part, that the mayor's and City Council speaker's 'consistent refusal to show police officers the support and respect they deserve.' De Blasio and Mark-Viverito call form 'deeply disappointing.'

The NYPD'S biggest union offered city cops a chance to hold their grudges against Mayor de Blasio — all the way to the grave.

A form appeared Friday on the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association website for cops who want the mayor and Council Speaker barred from their potential line-of-duty funerals.

"As a New York City police officer, (I) request that Mayor Bill de Blasio and City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito refrain from attending my funeral services," the form letter declares.

The letter cites the pair's "consistent refusal to show police officers the support and respect they deserve" — particularly in the wake of the Eric Garner grand jury decision.

The form letter, once signed, is returnable to the officer's local PBA delegate.

Cops were infuriated when the mayor said publicly that he had warned his biracial 17-year-old son, Dante, to tread carefully when dealing with the NYPD.

Representatives for the mayor and the speaker responded Friday with a joint statement condemning the union's maneuver as divisive.

"This is deeply disappointing," the pair said. "Incendiary rhetoric like this serves only to divide the city, and New Yorkers reject these tactics.

"The mayor and the speaker both know better than to think this inappropriate stunt represents the views of the majority of police officers and their families."

PBA head Pat Lynch offered no comment Friday after the letter appeared.

He was expected to speak Saturday at the annual Christmas party for the widows and kids of officers killed in the line of duty.

The unprecedented attack on City Hall received mixed reviews from the rank and file — and from the father of a cop killed on the job.

Michael Williams Sr., 64, said he found de Blasio's presence comforting after his son Michael died three months ago in an NYPD van crash.

"Politics are politics," said the father. "I try not to mix them in with my personal feelings. I have no animosity for the mayor."

Several officers seemed to side more with City Hall than their union leadership.

"I don't think that's right," said a Brooklyn detective. "They shouldn't be doing that ... Politics is politics, but that sounds a little personal."

The detective acknowledged that he was rankled by de Blasio's comment that he had warned son Dante to be wary when dealing with the NYPD.

"Nobody liked when he admitted that, but it's not a reason to do something like this," the detective said.

A Manhattan police sergeant said the union went too far with this move.

"Is this for real?" he asked. "I mean, I agree with what he's saying, but this is way out there."

But one cop who didn't want to be named agreed with the union — and said others did, too.

"There is not one police officer I know who doesn't support this," he said, adding that "95%" of cops felt the same way.

Ideologue

"Hooray, I don't have to go to some stranger's funeral!"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)