News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2014, 02:10:12 PM
For decades, police in New York and elsewhere had confiscated condoms from sex work suspects ostensibly for them to be used as evidence in criminal trials, even though the overwhelming majority of prostitution cases never go to trial.

Maybe the majority of cases don't go to trial because the police did a good job in their investigation, including seizing all relevant evidence, thus leading to a guilty plea? :mad:

I mean, I'm sure the drug dealers don't like it when police seize their cell phones either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

*Used* condoms would be a better analogy to cell phones, BB.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2014, 02:25:43 PM
Your bait is getting a bit stale, Spicy.

I'm serious.  Why not just call them prostitutes?  Using the term "worker" lends false dignity to what they do and denigrates people who are actually doing real, productive work.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2014, 03:30:22 PM

I'm serious.  Why not just call them prostitutes?  Using the term "worker" lends false dignity to what they do and denigrates people who are actually doing real, productive work.

Service jobs aren't productive?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

:blink: I can understand the moral indignation, but saying that they're not doing real, productive work?  How do you define productive work?  If anything, cops that fight unbeatable crimes that shouldn't even be crimes, like prostitution, are the ones not doing any productive work.

Sheilbh

I get DS's point- and he's wrong about prostitutes. Though I'd take it from the perspective that it's maybe a problematic description, but not as bad as 'client'. But then I suppose that's to be expected.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Managing to sell something to people that is otherwise free is incredibly entrepreneurial and productive.

But I can see why you'd prefer "prostitutes", considering how you hate women.

Admiral Yi

I dislike sex workers as well.  Not because I think the service they provide is without value, but because it's contrived and I disapprove of the practice of changing the names of things in an attempt to engineer attitudes.

If you want people to think better of prostitutes, change their minds about prostitution.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2014, 08:37:53 PM
I dislike sex workers as well.  Not because I think the service they provide is without value, but because it's contrived and I disapprove of the practice of changing the names of things in an attempt to engineer attitudes.

If you want people to think better of prostitutes, change their minds about prostitution.
Agreed on that point.  One of the things about the left that I find annoying is that people think that by getting on a euphemism treadmill you're going to solve the problem being described.  They don't realize that it just breeds resentment for the left's ideas.

garbon

I don't see any issue with. One, it isn't like it is a new term and two, politics (and in particular, sexual politics) often involves changing the conversation through terminology. Frankly, I'm not surprised that people don't want to use a term that people use as a slur.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

That's a bit juicier :)

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2014, 08:37:53 PM

How do so many people, make so much money, for such a long period of time selling something without value? :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2014, 08:56:18 PM
Frankly, I'm not surprised that people don't want to use a term that people use as a slur.

Eh the new one just becomes the new slur eventually.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2014, 09:17:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2014, 08:56:18 PM
Frankly, I'm not surprised that people don't want to use a term that people use as a slur.

Eh the new one just becomes the new slur eventually.

And old terms get reclaimed. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.