News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2014, 11:41:21 PM
Hey, derspiess, did you hear that in WV, the Republicans captured both houses in the state legislature.  That's almost unbelievable.  When I was in high school, IIRC the Democrats had a 33-1 edge in the state Senate and a 91-9 edge in the House.

Heh, there needs to be the same thing here in Massachusetts, for a while anyway, to straighten this corrupt and broken mess out. At least voters elected a Republican governor but with a vast majority of Dems in the state legislature he'll need to tread lightly. But there have been many big problems here to address that I would hope Dems and Governor will find plenty of common ground.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 11:35:52 AM
I listed one Democrat-turned-GOP politician who won in WV.  Do you know of any others?

He was just the icing on the cake.  It took more than a half dozen Republicans to unseat incumbent Democrats to get him into that position.

It's OK, d.  These things happen to state political parties over time.  I know that keeping West Virginia blue gives your anger and hatred an outlet to rage against those damned dirty Democrats and their murderous unions, but WV has been slowly turning red for several years now.

derspiess

In WV a large part of it is simply the dying off of a generation of old people who voted for anything with a "D" next to it. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on November 10, 2014, 11:45:16 AM
At least voters elected a Republican governor but with a vast majority of Dems in the state legislature he'll need to tread lightly. But there have been many big problems here to address that I would hope Dems and Governor will find plenty of common ground.

Same thing happened in Maryland;  the voters either returned incumbent Democrats or voted for new ones, it was just the Governor's mansion that changed hands.  Which means it was more of an indictment of Brown as a weak candidate and the popular loathing of The Governor Everybody Loves To Hate, Marty O'Malley, than it was for the GOP platform.

Although, derspiess would appreciate Michael Peroutka's winning of a seat at the Anne Arundel County council.  Admitted "neo-confederate" and former member of the League of the South, said civil rights are "make believe" rights and that MLK was proof that welfare violates natural law, which come from the Bible.  Your kind of guy, d. :P

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2014, 11:50:18 AM
but WV has been slowly turning red for several years now.

No shit.  Pace accelerated quite a bit this year, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 11:53:30 AM
In WV a large part of it is simply the dying off of a generation of old people who voted for anything with a "D" next to it.

Yes, that also happens to state political parties over time.  We call that "demographics".

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2014, 12:00:26 PM
Although, derspiess would appreciate Michael Peroutka's winning of a seat at the Anne Arundel County council.  Admitted "neo-confederate" and former member of the League of the South, said civil rights are "make believe" rights and that MLK was proof that welfare violates natural law, which come from the Bible.  Your kind of guy, d. :P

I sense some typical Seedy exaggeration there :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 12:03:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2014, 11:50:18 AM
but WV has been slowly turning red for several years now.

No shit.  Pace accelerated quite a bit this year, though.

So why all the shit-giving?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 12:06:21 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-hutson/meet-marylands-white-nati_b_5572556.html

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2014, 12:06:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 11:53:30 AM

Yes, that also happens to state political parties over time.  We call that "demographics".

Yep.  Not too often that one party has such a death grip on state politics like the Demoncrats had, though.  Stop harshing my buzz.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2014, 03:20:34 PM
Gay guy fail :(

I thought the guy won.  Or was that a different guy?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2014, 12:07:19 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-hutson/meet-marylands-white-nati_b_5572556.html

A racist GOP official?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 10, 2014, 04:59:35 PM

A racist GOP official?

:lol:  A HuffPo hit piece.  They need to mention David Duke's name more.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 10, 2014, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 10, 2014, 04:59:35 PM

A racist GOP official?

:lol:  A HuffPo hit piece.  They need to mention David Duke's name more.

Do you dispute the statements made by the man or that he's a member of a Lettowist group?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017