News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Every election the party that got more votes think that it's a "sweeping victory for all the dippiest ideas we have" when the 52-48% margins are nothing of the sort.

Admiral Yi

It has turned into a big bluffing game.  The only real mandate is if you control all three levers.

Hansmeister

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on November 07, 2014, 04:55:13 PM
Every election the party that got more votes think that it's a "sweeping victory for all the dippiest ideas we have" when the 52-48% margins are nothing of the sort.

This was a pretty big win for the GOP, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 07, 2014, 05:12:51 PM

I wish you joy of your victory :hug:

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2014, 05:13:31 PM

I wish you joy of your victory :hug:

I'm not gloating (at this precise moment), just pointing out what I thought was obvious.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 07, 2014, 05:18:09 PM
I'm not gloating (at this precise moment), just pointing out what I thought was obvious.

And I did not intend to imply that you were gloating. You're right, it was a pretty solid GOP win and I hope it provides some of the positive results you were hoping for.

alfred russel

I know Obama is getting flack for saying it, but the turnout was exceptionally low. I saw it was the lowest turnout since WWII. The voters in the next election cycle are likely to be much different. We are entering a pattern of Republican waves in non presidential election cycles, and Democratic tsunamis in presidential cycles (at least since 2008).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2014, 05:19:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 07, 2014, 05:18:09 PM

And I did not intend to imply that you were gloating. You're right, it was a pretty solid GOP win and I hope it provides some of the positive results you were hoping for.

Aww.  Even if you don't mean any bit of it, thanks for saying so :hug:

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 07, 2014, 05:26:52 PM
Aww.  Even if you don't mean any bit of it, thanks for saying so :hug:

:hug: I mean it.

We can always get into the actual content of "positive results" and/or snark at some point in the future. Right now, you won and it's time for you guys to enjoy that and plan what to do with your victory.

Barrister

Well it depends.  If you run on a platform to do something, and you win, then by golly you have a mandate to do so.  That's even where you might not have even won 50% of the vote.

If however you haven't run on much of a platform though, well, it's hard to say you have much of a "mandate".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

In 2010 it was 52/45% voting for Republicans in the House of Representatives, in 2014 it was 52/47% with a significantly more unpopular Democrat president.  These are margins that say "let's see what you can do", not "we throw ourselves prostrate at your feet to do with us what you will".

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2014, 04:34:35 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2014, 03:52:58 PM
Boehner made it clear in his press conference yesterday he thinks he has a mandate on Obamacare.

Yeah, it's my impression that the incoming GOP majorities feel they have a mandate on repealing Obamacare and possible on not approving any kind of administration nominees. They also, as I understand it, believe they have a mandate on not providing any action on immigration issues.

I'm unaware of any pro-active mandate having been expressed, but perhaps time will show.
It's a little difficult to talk about mandates.  The Republicans dominated the House, but the House elections don't really imply a mandate, due to gerrymandering by racists.  The Senate is a little different, but it seems to me that most of the states electing right now were the Midwest and the South, which are bastions of Jesus-screeching, gun-use and other Republican stupidity.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Hey, derspiess, did you hear that in WV, the Republicans captured both houses in the state legislature.  That's almost unbelievable.  When I was in high school, IIRC the Democrats had a 33-1 edge in the state Senate and a 91-9 edge in the House.

jimmy olsen

Saw this on Facebook, it's from Daily Kos, but then again...South Carolina

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point