Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 01:21:51 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 01:18:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 01:00:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:53:35 PM

Would I though? I'd have to invest the time learning how to do these things and properly. Given how little use they have been to me in 7 years of car ownership, I'm unconvinced that I should pick them up.

Garbon, didn't you post that you keep your car parked some distance from where you live and it is a luxury, not a need? How many miles are you putting on the car?

I've changed a lot of flat tires. All the skills I've posted have been used. It could be you don't drive much, or when you do the road conditions are better.

My first 3 years, I used my car on a daily basis and even drove it across country.

How often do you drive it now?

One a month - which, of course means that it now suffers from the issues of not being used regularly. -_-

Ok. 1st world problem. If it gives you too much trouble it will have low miles when you trade it in for a newer one. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 01:22:47 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 01:17:40 PM
Idiot lights are useful but I don't trust them 100%.

Exactly. Whats 5 mins of your time vs possibly damaging an engine

So how often do you check your oil?  Everytime you drive it?

Every other week on the neon which gets driven 800 miles a month. Oil/filter gets changed every 5-6k w/synthetic only.

The truck and mustang once a month. 3k for oil change or 6 mos with dino oil for the truck.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zanza

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 01:04:04 PM
I've never had to use roadside assistance, but I've heard good things about it. I think it is worth including in your insurance.  I can change a tire faster than waiting for them to show up. Now, your car breaks down? Accident? Yeah, call for the tow truck.

The one time I used it my spare was also dead. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:34:03 PM

Every other week on the neon which gets driven 800 miles a month. Oil/filter gets changed every 5-6k w/synthetic only.

The truck and mustang once a month. 3k for oil change or 6 mos with dino oil for the truck.

Shock and horror - you mean you risk engine damage by going that long without checking your oil  ;)

I think this fetsih with checking your oil has more to do with an ethos of percieved rugged individualism than anything of any practical value.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Zanza on January 13, 2014, 01:36:26 PM
That's a lot of oil changes.

3k/3mo is the standard advice for any car older than 10 years, and most oil change places still use that for all cars.  Honda's maintenance schedule for my car calls for 6k/6mo in normal conditions and 3k/3mo in "severe" conditions.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 13, 2014, 01:38:51 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 01:04:04 PM
I've never had to use roadside assistance, but I've heard good things about it. I think it is worth including in your insurance.  I can change a tire faster than waiting for them to show up. Now, your car breaks down? Accident? Yeah, call for the tow truck.

The one time I used it my spare was also dead. :P

Murphy must have been riding with you that day. :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 01:39:40 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:34:03 PM

Shock and horror - you mean you risk engine damage by going that long without checking your oil  ;)

I think this fetsih with checking your oil has more to do with an ethos of percieved rugged individualism than anything of any practical value.

:rolleyes: Do what you will

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:43:09 PM
:rolleyes: Do what you will

I do.  Regularly servicing does just fine.  I have no idea why you would do anything else unless you had some reason to believe you were leaking oil.

11B4V

CC

How often does your owners manual tell you to check the oil in your car?

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:45:47 PM
CC

How often does your owners manual tell you to check the oil in your car?

No idea.  I have never looked at the thing.  Who does that?

11B4V

Here's a hint,

My Truck: every stop for fuel

The Neon: every stop for fuel.

and yes they both have idiot lights. So, what your saying is, you should not even remotely follow the owners manual.

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:50:26 PM
Here's a hint,

My Truck: every stop for fuel

The Neon: every stop for fuel.

and yes they both have idiot lights. So, what your saying is, you should not even remotely follow the owners manual.

Interesting.  Did you realize you were buying cars that had the potential to leak that much?

alfred russel

It isn't just about being moderately self sufficient if something happens in a remote place (but I think that is important, especially for girls).

It also just helps to save money / avoid being ripped off. Do you know how complicated it is to change an air filter? It takes 5 minutes - that that assumes you will need 2 to find a screwdriver. The shops I've seen will charge ~$20 for that. You can pick up your own filter for a lot less than that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014