News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I've never had to use roadside assistance, but I've heard good things about it. I think it is worth including in your insurance.  I can change a tire faster than waiting for them to show up. Now, your car breaks down? Accident? Yeah, call for the tow truck.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

sbr

alfred russel

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 12:58:33 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 13, 2014, 12:16:45 PM
adding to your list

- checking and filling engine oil
- checking and filling water
- checking and filling wiper fluid
- re-setting the car alarm
- aligning mirrors to the new driver (life or death thing)

:XD:

I agree with your additions (except for the car alarm thing).

However, when was the last time you checked the engine oil? I have a light in my car for that.

B4, are you saying I should check it?

I do have a light, and I regularly change my oil. I'm not sure why I should check it manually.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 01:00:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:53:35 PM

Would I though? I'd have to invest the time learning how to do these things and properly. Given how little use they have been to me in 7 years of car ownership, I'm unconvinced that I should pick them up.

Garbon, didn't you post that you keep your car parked some distance from where you live and it is a luxury, not a need? How many miles are you putting on the car?

I've changed a lot of flat tires. All the skills I've posted have been used. It could be you don't drive much, or when you do the road conditions are better.

My first 3 years, I used my car on a daily basis and even drove it across country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 01:08:28 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 12:58:33 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 13, 2014, 12:16:45 PM
adding to your list

- checking and filling engine oil
- checking and filling water
- checking and filling wiper fluid
- re-setting the car alarm
- aligning mirrors to the new driver (life or death thing)

:XD:

I agree with your additions (except for the car alarm thing).

However, when was the last time you checked the engine oil? I have a light in my car for that.

B4, are you saying I should check it?

I do have a light, and I regularly change my oil. I'm not sure why I should check it manually.

If you trust that light and sensor...rock on.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Idiot lights are useful but I don't trust them 100%.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 01:08:31 PM

Would I though? I'd have to invest the time learning how to do these things and properly. Given how little use they have been to me in 7 years of car ownership, I'm unconvinced that I should pick them up.

Garbon, didn't you post that you keep your car parked some distance from where you live and it is a luxury, not a need? How many miles are you putting on the car?

I've changed a lot of flat tires. All the skills I've posted have been used. It could be you don't drive much, or when you do the road conditions are better.

My first 3 years, I used my car on a daily basis and even drove it across country.

How often do you drive it now?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:09:54 PM

Tell me something, if you owned a new car that was serviced regularly pursuant to the terms of its warranty is there some reason not to trust the light?

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 01:17:40 PM

Exactly. Whats 5 mins of your time vs possibly damaging an engine
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 01:19:04 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:09:54 PM

Tell me something, if you owned a new car that was serviced regularly pursuant to the terms of its warranty is there some reason not to trust the light?

and new cars never have issues. Do what you will by all means.  ;)

garbon

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 01:18:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 01:08:31 PM

How often do you drive it now?

One a month - which, of course means that it now suffers from the issues of not being used regularly. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 01:17:40 PM

Exactly. Whats 5 mins of your time vs possibly damaging an engine

So how often do you check your oil?  Everytime you drive it?

Zanza

You drive into ditches in remote Argentina. In those situations, having those skills obviously makes sense.

Jacob

I agree with Vike about adjusting the mirrors. All the rest? I don't know... I expect my son to avail himself of the conveniences of a modern service economy. Besides,  with technological changes in car design and transportation infrastructure, who's to say that these skills are even applicable by the time he's driving?

Most of those skills are wonderful skills to have, but are only really necessary if you are either planning on a job in a garage, or if you are a car hobbyist.

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on January 13, 2014, 01:20:58 PMand new cars never have issues. Do what you will by all means.  ;)

Presumably a new car is covered by a warranty, so if it does have issues it'll get fixed and/or replaced?