And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2014, 12:47:16 PM
@AR Call AAA?

There are places in this country where there isn't cell phone coverage. I doubt there is AAA coverage either.

Not to mention someone said it is $50/month for AAA...$600 a year to avoid learning how to do things like change a tire?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 12:50:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:50:05 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 12:38:48 PM
Sucks the interweb will go down and I won't be able to find out how some of you fare when the zombie apocalypse hits. :(

If that day ever happens I will admit you were wise.

But how will I know? :(

You will just have to trust me.

Admiral Yi

Why pay 50 clams a month to AAA when you can get roadside assistance added to your car insurance for like 3 clams?

Their triptiks aren't *that* awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:54:13 PM
@AR Call AAA?

There are places in this country where there isn't cell phone coverage. I doubt there is AAA coverage either.

Not to mention someone said it is $50/month for AAA...$600 a year to avoid learning how to do things like change a tire?
My Geico policy has a roadside assistance coverage, and it costs nowhere near $50/month (has to be something like $5-$10 per month).  It works very well too, as I found out.

crazy canuck

@AR Call AAA?

Meh, in the good old days when cars broke down frequently you could always get a ride to call for a tow truck.  After I started buying new cars I have had 0 times that I needed any roadside assistance.  So really your thread is for people who buy really old cars and live in hell holes with no cell phone reception and who have neighbours who would rather shoot than help.

lustindarkness

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:54:18 PM
Sucks the interweb will go down and I won't be able to find out how some of you fare when the zombie apocalypse hits. :(

But, you are a lawyer.  :hmm:

:P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 12:55:59 PM
Why pay 50 clams a month to AAA when you can get roadside assistance added to your car insurance for like 3 clams?

AAA costs 50 bucks a year, so AR is a bit off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2014, 12:56:12 PM
@AR Call AAA?

My Geico policy has a roadside assistance coverage, and it costs nowhere near $50/month (has to be something like $5-$10 per month).  It works very well too, as I found out.

Yeah, it comes with my insurance as well.  Never have had to use it so I am not sure how well it works.

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 13, 2014, 12:16:45 PM
adding to your list

- checking and filling engine oil
- checking and filling water
- checking and filling wiper fluid
- re-setting the car alarm
- aligning mirrors to the new driver (life or death thing)

:XD:

I agree with your additions (except for the car alarm thing).

However, when was the last time you checked the engine oil? I have a light in my car for that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 12:57:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:54:18 PM

But, you are a lawyer.  :hmm:

:P

As the zombie is taking a bite out of me because my car broke down and I didnt know how to fix it, my dying thoughts will be of this thread.  I promise.

Until then I will live carefree.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2014, 12:56:12 PM
@AR Call AAA?

Yeah, it comes with my insurance as well.  Never have had to use it so I am not sure how well it works.
Just checked, it's $7.50 for 6 months.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:53:35 PM

Would I though? I'd have to invest the time learning how to do these things and properly. Given how little use they have been to me in 7 years of car ownership, I'm unconvinced that I should pick them up.

Garbon, didn't you post that you keep your car parked some distance from where you live and it is a luxury, not a need? How many miles are you putting on the car?

I've changed a lot of flat tires. All the skills I've posted have been used. It could be you don't drive much, or when you do the road conditions are better.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2014, 12:55:59 PM

AAA premier is 124/yr :rolleyes: and yes i have it.

http://www.aaawa.com/membership/index.asp?zip=98312&devicecd=PC&referer=washington.aaa.com
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".