Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2014, 12:09:59 PM
Taking parenting advice from languish?

Not going to happen.

This isn't about parenting advice. It is about people without children judging those with them.   :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 13, 2014, 12:23:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:22:52 PM
You need to teach your kids how to find a good reliable mechanic so that they can spend their time doing more fruitful activities.

And what do they do when all four of them are booked solid for the next three months? :P

:D

I guess I have just been lucky that way.  But seriously, in a modern new car, other than putting in the gas, I really dont need to do anything.  There are mandatory maintenance visits I need to have to keep my warranty where they take care of pretty much everything.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:37:51 PM
I don't see how. Most of those are unpleasant and its easier to have someone do them for you.

You girls are all alike :rolleyes:

You may get your hands dirty, but in many cases you are saving both time and money by doing it yourself. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:41:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:35:43 PM
What does "should" mean in this context given that nearly all of them are unnecessary?

Garbon, what is your plan if you have a flat tire in a somewhat remote place with no one to call?
Buying a car with run-flat tires so he can just drive to the next workshop?

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on January 13, 2014, 12:16:45 PM
adding to your list

- checking and filling engine oil
- checking and filling water
- checking and filling wiper fluid
- re-setting the car alarm
- aligning mirrors to the new driver (life or death thing)

I agree with your additions (except for the car alarm thing).

However, when was the last time you checked the engine oil? I have a light in my car for that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 12:34:37 PM
Huh?  How modern are we talking here?  You can change the bulbs in any car I'm familiar with yourself, easy peasy.
If you go modern enough, there are no "bulbs" anymore as it's all LEDs.

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on January 13, 2014, 12:47:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 12:34:37 PM
Huh?  How modern are we talking here?  You can change the bulbs in any car I'm familiar with yourself, easy peasy.
If you go modern enough, there are no "bulbs" anymore as it's all LEDs.

Okay.  But that's almost a non-issue as they shouldn't burn out like incandescent bulbs do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 12:38:48 PM
Sucks the interweb will go down and I won't be able to find out how some of you fare when the zombie apocalypse hits. :(

If that day ever happens I will admit you were wise.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Zanza on January 13, 2014, 12:46:43 PM
What does "should" mean in this context given that nearly all of them are unnecessary?

Garbon, what is your plan if you have a flat tire in a somewhat remote place with no one to call?
Buying a car with run-flat tires so he can just drive to the next workshop?

BTW, run flat tech sure is better than it was some years ago.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 12:50:05 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 13, 2014, 12:38:48 PM
Sucks the interweb will go down and I won't be able to find out how some of you fare when the zombie apocalypse hits. :(

If that day ever happens I will admit you were wise.

But how will I know? :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

I think maybe the belief in the importance of basic car maintenance skills is at least partly a function of the density of the areas you are accustomed to driving.

City driver, not so important.  Empty spaces driver, more important.

garbon

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 13, 2014, 12:34:36 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM
how to put gas in a car (this is trivial, but apparently there is a languishite that doesn't know how)

I refuse to believe this is possible.
I'll be able to figure it out if I'll ever need to.  :mad:

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on January 13, 2014, 12:46:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2014, 12:37:51 PM
I don't see how. Most of those are unpleasant and its easier to have someone do them for you.

You girls are all alike :rolleyes:

You may get your hands dirty, but in many cases you are saving both time and money by doing it yourself. 

Would I though? I'd have to invest the time learning how to do these things and properly. Given how little use they have been to me in 7 years of car ownership, I'm unconvinced that I should pick them up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.